How to use data cartridge and tape drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rupeshforu3

In the zone
Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have large amount of data in internal hard disk of my PC and I want to backup to removable storage like tape cartridge or external hard disk.

I want to move up to 700 GB of data from internal hard disk of my PC to tape drive or external hard disk and so I am searching for cheapest method.

So I want secondary storage of size 2 tb and I have examined storage such as external hard disk such as segate expansion, data cartridge such as "HP LTO 6 Ultrium 2.5/6.25 TB MP RW Data Cartridge (C7976A)", blue ray DVDs etc.,.

Upon examining the above storage technologies I came to decision that data cartridge is the cheap and best.

As I am from India I have searched for data cartridge in amazon.in and found that it costs 2900 rupees for
"HP LTO 6 Ultrium 2.5/6.25 TB MP RW Data Cartridge (C7976A)". For segate expansion disk the cost is 6400 Indian currency.

Up to now I have used a variety of storages such as sata,ide hard disks and segate expansion disk of size 1 tb, micro SD card, 3.5 inch floppy disk, compact disk ie., CDs, DVDs, USB pen drive etc. I have never used data cartridge before and even I have not seen it.

Now the issue is how to attach data cartridge to a PC and transfer files between PC and the data cartridge. What I am expecting is does the data cartridge itself can be connected directly to a PC through USB or it must be inserted in a drive and then connect the drive to a PC.

Data cartridge costs up to 3000 rupees Indian currency but can anyone of you guess how much tape drive costs and specify it. Also if you don't mind can you suggest where I can buy tape drive in India.

Regards,
Rupesh.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
External hard disks of size 2tb are starting from 5500 but 6.5 tb data cartridge is 2900 rupees only.

Please examine the following link
*www.amazon.in/HP-Ultrium-6-25-Cartridge-C7976A/dp/B00AHQUV3S

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

billubakra

Conversation Architect
External hard disks of size 2tb are starting from 5500 but 6.5 tb data cartridge is 2900 rupees only.

A seller with no ratings. Better buy a 1tb hdd for around 3800 bucks.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!

*www.amazon.in/Passport-External-Hard-Drive-Black/dp/B079V4L9BD/
2TB at 5k

I have no idea how to even access a LTO drive, much less use it on a daily basis. Unless you know how to do it, that drive would just waste your money.

PS: There is a reason why all of the consumer devices use either HDD, SSD or flash storage and not tape drives anymore.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
OK can anyone of you specify Seagate external hard disks with size 2tb below 5000 rupees because WD external hard disk brought by me previously is not working properly.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
OK can anyone of you specify Seagate external hard disks with size 2tb below 5000 rupees because WD external hard disk brought by me previously is not working properly.

Only 2TB WD Passport is going for 5k and others are priced higher. What is the issue with your previous WD drive?

OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
At first it worked fine after some days it felt down by mistake and I am unable to access files in it.

After some days I have brought another segate expansion disk and it also felt sometimes down by mistake but still working.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
At first it worked fine after some days it felt down by mistake and I am unable to access files in it.

After some days I have brought another segate expansion disk and it also felt sometimes down by mistake but still working.

You can't really hope a mechanical drive to work perfectly fine after it fell down. If it is still in warranty, get it RMA'd. Seagate one is still working on pure luck.

BTW, an external SSD like samsung T5 and T3 could prevent you from loosing data because of drops but would not be cheap.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
OK many people are suggesting that WD product's are inferior in quality than segate product's that too WD does not have good support like service centres in India.

Due to the above reason I am hesitating to buy WD external hard disk.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
There is no warranty for this product and so does is it mean it is fake.

I'm surprised to see "No warranty" mentioned on the product page. Might be an error. Check with Amazon CC. Since it is amazon fulfilled, I doubt they would sell an out of warranty drive for 5k.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK many people are suggesting that WD product's are inferior in quality than segate product's that too WD does not have good support like service centres in India.

Due to the above reason I am hesitating to buy WD external hard disk.

You are the first person I know to claim that WD after sales support is poorer than seagate in India.Also do remember that when it comes to HDD the most important factor is luck irrespective of which brand hdd you buy so always keep a backup.

P.S. tape storage is still very much present though only in corporate world & for good reason,for home consumers it is as good as dead.
2018 Data Storage Market Overview - EnterpriseStorageForum.com

OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
You are the first person I know to claim that WD after sales support is poorer than seagate in India.Also do remember that when it comes to HDD the most important factor is luck irrespective of which brand hdd you buy so always keep a backup.

P.S. tape storage is still very much present though only in corporate world & for good reason,for home consumers it is as good as dead.
2018 Data Storage Market Overview - EnterpriseStorageForum.com
Corporate world do you mean tape drive and it's cassette or cartridge costs lakhs of Indian currency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom