How to speedup old computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djn

Broken In
More memory or graphic card?

My old P III 800Mhz with 128 Mb Ram on an Intel M/b 810 EA(built in graphics and sound) needs a new monitor. As I would like to add a 17" LCD monitor to it, the display would become 1280 x 1024.
I'm sure the computer will become slower at this display size, so do I add more memory or buy a graphics card?
I intend to buy a new machine in Dec and until then got to make do wih this.
Your suggestions, guys?

Last edited:

eddie

El mooooo
If you are planning to get a new machine in December then my suggestion would be to wait before you buy the new monitor. Till then 19" LCD will become cheaper and you will be able to buy them with your new system...so stick with the current one for a few more months and get a better display rather than going for a 17" right now.

OP
D

Djn

Broken In
The monitor is dead. Took it to the repair shop and found it needs a part which is not available.
17" is enough for me and right now I can't even use the computer, so I might as well buy the new monitor.
Whether it will work properly at 1280x1068 is the key. I don't want to use it at 800x600

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
why dont u get a second hand monitor for the timebeing.

ur pc would certianly bend over due to the load...

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
Get a used monitor or a 15" CRT for now. But an LCD with your new PC. You can then use the CRT with your old PIII

who knows, you might even get a 21" LCD for 10k by the end of this year. So, do not hurry. Get ALL new system in December.

who knows, you might even get a 21" LCD for 10k by the end of this year. So, do not hurry. Get ALL new system in December.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom