How to make Grub recognise Lilo or vice versa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaithy

In the zone
Hello guys,

My pastime is simply installing and uninstalling various distros..So far I have sucess rate of 9 to 10 . Now I have downloaded VectorLinux live cd after trying it I want to install in mt harddisk ( 80 GB + 40 GB)
At present I have 9 linux distros with Windows XP spreading in the two disks. Almost all the distros that I have installed have grub as it bootloader so I have no problem. Simply editing the menu.lst file of the latest distro that installed helped me to have all the distros in the boot loader.

But Vector Linux use Lilo as the bootloader so grub is not recognising or refuse to work with it i tried with chain loader entry indicating its partition to Grub in the (SAM) PClinux OS which is my default OS for booting.. Some Body give me some hints what to do, i'll be thankful to them.
Vector bootloader is wrote on it root partition
I also give my menu.lst entry in the SAM PCLinux OS..

Thanking you,

Vaithy

<menu.lst>
timeout 10
color black/cyan yellow/cyan
gfxmenu (hd1,6)/usr/share/gfxboot/themes/pclinuxos/boot/message
default 0

title SAM Pclinux OS-2007
kernel (hd1,6)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=SAM_Pclinux_OS-2007 root=/dev/hdb7 splash=silent vga=788
initrd (hd1,6)/boot/initrd.img

title linux-nonfb
kernel (hd1,6)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux-nonfb root=/dev/hdb7 splash=silent

title failsafe
kernel (hd1,6)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=/dev/hdb7 failsafe

title windows XP
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

title openSUSE 10.2
kernel (hd1,6)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=openSUSE_10.2 root=/dev/hda7 showopts resume=/dev/hda6 elevator= splash=silent vga=0x317
initrd (hd1,6)/boot/initrd

title Freespire Ver. 1.0.13
kernel (hd0,9)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.14-gratis BOOT_IMAGE=Freespire_Ver._1.0.13 root=/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part10 rootdev=0x030a ramdisk=35392 video=vesafb:nomtrr jiffymount=noatime mem=nopentium resume2=swap:/dev/hda10:0x44000 splash=silent vga=0x311
initrd (hd0,9)/boot/initrd-2.6.14-gratis.gz

title Diagnostics
kernel (hd0,9)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.14-gratis BOOT_IMAGE=Diagnostics root=/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part10 noresume2 single Diagnostics rootdev=0x030a ramdisk=35392 video=vesafb:nomtrr jiffymount=noatime mem=nopentium resume2=swap:/dev/hda10:0x44000 splash=silent
initrd (hd0,9)/boot/initrd-2.6.14-gratis.gz

title MEPIS at hda11, kernel 2.6.15-26-386
kernel (hd0,10)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-386 BOOT_IMAGE=MEPIS_at_hda11,_kernel_2615-26- root=/dev/hda11 nomce quiet splash=silent vga=791

title Mandriva gnome-2007
kernel (hd0,8)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=Mandriva_gnome-2007 root=/dev/hda9 splash=silent vga=788
initrd (hd0,8)/boot/initrd.img

title Mandriva-2007
rootnoverify (hd0,7)
chainloader +1

title DreamLinux
# kernel path-to-kernel root=rootdevice kernelarguments
root (hd1,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb3 vga=0x317 vga=791 splash=silent nomce quiet
initrd = /boot/initrd

title Fedora Core (2.6.18-1.2798.fc6)
root (hd1,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.img

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
WOW 9 distros on a single PC, that's amazing. Reped you for your effort...thanks.

Hey could you let me know in details how I can override grub...my reaosn is: I have XP Media Center & Open Suse 10.2 w/Beryl running on the following config as mentioned in my signature. But I'd also like to add either Ubuntu 6.10 or Sabayon on to my PC but I want either grub showing all the 3 i.e. XP, Suse & Ubuntu or which distro I add.

I had tried this earlier with Fedora Core6, it installed alright but I could not log into Fedora.

OP
V

vaithy

In the zone
Dear caleb,
My introduction to Linux happen two years old and i am still considered me as New Bie in this area. So don't take my posting as a expert one.. for the past two years I installed and repartitioned over more than 20 times with more than 40 distros but always installed Windows XP in the first partition of the hard disk. Always back- up.. another rule..
First determine the capacity of your hard disk and how many distros do you want to install? next partition the disk while installing the Xp it self.Then whatever the Distro you chose select the partition you want then install it ( use GRUB not LiLO )

Consider the example,

I have three distro with me want to install it along with the Win XP.. while installing the first two distro assign the bootloader to its root partition NOT IN THE MBR. so far so good..
Then the third distro boorloader should have installed on MBR. Some of the distro may have the other distros in its boot loader option while rebooting it , some of the other distros may not have the option..

for example if your final distro happen to be Fedora than it is easy. because while installation come to end while configuring bootloader you may add additional option of other distros already installed in the hard disk simly pointing to the partitionnumber ..
If your final distro is ubuntu than simly sit idle don't do any thing as ubuntu will automatically include all the distro along with the Windows in its boot loader..

If it is some other distro.. see my menu.lst file...
you can simly edit this file as root and add the the additional entries..

another member PM the same subject.. I hope this may clear the doubts..

Thanking you,
vaithy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom