How to lock a hdd

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Hi Guys,

A friend of mine is looking for a method to lock his laptop. Lock as in so that no one can access any info without the password. I told him to lock it using the Windows password option, but he said that the data can be accessed by booting say via HBCD or Ubuntu. Is there a way to lock in a more subtle way so that the data cannot be accessed without a password?

Thanks

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do not use bios password,it is buggy & in worst case scenario may even render the mobo useless/inoperable.

Use Truecrypt or Veracrypt & use full hdd encryption.Be warned though that in some situations because of some software/hardware issue,entire data may be gone forever with no chance of recovery.

My advice is to simply use 7-zip/winzip/winrar & use AES-256 encryption to create password protected archives for sensitive data.When you want to work on that data,just extract it using password & after work is finished,secure delete the extracted data using eraser/file shredder.

P.S.notifications are not working for tagging.Replying,quoting & liking posts are working fine in notification system though.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Do not use bios password,it is buggy & in worst case scenario may even render the mobo useless/inoperable.

Use Truecrypt or Veracrypt & use full hdd encryption.Be warned though that in some situations because of some software/hardware issue,entire data may be gone forever with no chance of recovery.

My advice is to simply use 7-zip/winzip/winrar & use AES-256 encryption to create password protected archives for sensitive data.When you want to work on that data,just extract it using password & after work is finished,secure delete the extracted data using eraser/file shredder.

P.S.notifications are not working for tagging.Replying,quoting & liking posts are working fine in notification system though.
Thanks. Is 256 bit encryption default in winrar or do we need to set it? I am also against encryption softwares as I lost my data back in the days when I was using Windows XP. Is there any software which locks all the drives and which doesn't even allow HBCD or Ubuntu to unlock?
Get the notification thing fixed it is going on from weeks now.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Just in case the Windows OS on the laptop in question is Ultimate/Pro/Enterprise edition of Windows 7/8/10 (As applicable) then it should come equipped with Bitlocker password based drive encryption app built-in. Don't know about Vista though.

Put all sensitive data on a single partition and using Bitlocker lock (Encrypt) that partition. This way Windows (System partition) is not affected and when required supply the password to unlock the drive.

Personally I prefer Truecrypt / Veracrypt file container and I maintain a backup of current as well as -1 version of the file on HDD as well as pen drive. Thus probability of all file containers getting corrupt at the same time is theoretically almost zero.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Just in case the Windows OS on the laptop in question is Ultimate/Pro/Enterprise edition of Windows 7/8/10 (As applicable) then it should come equipped with Bitlocker password based drive encryption app built-in. Don't know about Vista though.

Put all sensitive data on a single partition and using Bitlocker lock (Encrypt) that partition. This way Windows (System partition) is not affected and when required supply the password to unlock the drive.

Personally I prefer Truecrypt / Veracrypt file container and I maintain a backup of current as well as -1 version of the file on HDD as well as pen drive. Thus probability of all file containers getting corrupt at the same time is theoretically almost zero.
Any way to install that native Microsoft Bilocker on 7 and 10 home versions?
Well I was using some drive locker software back in my college days in my pc with xp. It worked well but one day all of a sudden it started displaying some error. I tired reinstalling but nothing worked, installed -1 and +1 version but they were also not helpful. Eventually I had to format the whole drive. So, I don't recommend these lockers/encrypting softwares to anyone.

@whitestar_999
Brother I was reading about locking Bios and of the little what I understood is that modern day mobo's with bios are very good and responsive if one opts for locking bios with a password.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Any way to install that native Microsoft Bilocker on 7 and 10 home versions?
Well to my best understanding it's not possible. It comes integrated with Ultimate/Pro/Enterprise editions of Windows. I used it for a while with my Win7 Ultimate and found it useful for a specific need. I don't recommend freeware FDE apps as you also thought it so, as they may not be so reliable. However Truecrypt/Veracrypt file container can be useful option.

Your friend should be very clear on exactly what vulnerability he/she feels and what degree of protection is desired. e.g. BIOS password may offer some level of protection but if the laptop gets stolen, and someone removes the HDD, data is exposed. Login passwords are OS specific, run another Live OS CD/USB and login protection is rendered useless. Zip files using password protection and forget to securely shred the originals and data may be recovered.

Last edited:

Flash

Lost in speed
Brother I was reading about locking Bios and of the little what I understood is that modern day mobo's with bios are very good and responsive if one opts for locking bios with a password.
Yes. But it can be cracked too unlike any other. Check here.
Three Ways to Crack Bios Password

As long as one remembers the BIOS password, nothing to worry provided tampering is not allowed.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
BIOS password is good as long as system is physically secure.If looking for protection against robbery/theft/lost then encryption is the only solution.

Top Bottom