how to install Windows98 and Linux Please Reply Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyasram

The pWnster
Hi,
I have a P3 866Mhz system with 192 Mb RAM and a 20GB HDD running on Windows XP.Please tell me how to install Windows 98SE in my second partition D and Red Hat Linux in my E partition without disturbing Windows XP.Also tell me whether the hardware that i am having now is enough for it. If i can install Red Hat Linux ,will I be able to share the same internet account with both Windows and Linux.I use a BSNL dial-up account
:?: :?: :?:

BlAsTeR

Broken In
Well as you are running windows xp , you will need to boot to dos using bootable cd or floppy

Install windows 98 on desired partition.
Run win xp setup from 98 and get in to recovery consol in xp setup a after reboot by setup.
Run fixmbr at recovery consol .
You are ready to boot 98 and xp by dual booting.
Now free a partition or if you hav experiance thn delete partition from setup and install linux.
You are ready to boot all 3 os.

Internet will depend upon the modem you are using.

technomodel

Journeyman
to do what u want, u have to follow tho following steps.
1.assuming u have at least 10 gb in the windows partition, backup your data in the second partition.
2.go to start menu->programs->administrative tools and click on disk management. from there delete the second logical partiion and create a new one from the unpartitioned free space, keeping about 5 gb free.
3.install win98 on the new partition or the one housing winxp.
4.installation of win98 overwrites the mbr(master boot record) so that xp cannot boot by default. to fix this, boot using the win xp boot cd, enter the recovery console, and type in the following commands
fixboot
fixmbr
5.this should take care of installation of win98. take a coffe brake
:)
6.now boot with the red hat 9 boot cd and follow the commands on screen.
7.during partitioning, choose automatic partitioning. it automatically detects the free space and installs the os there.
8.alternatively, u may manually partition using disk druid. if u do so, create a swap partition of at least twice ur ram, and create the / partition with the remaining space.
9.choose desktop install. it should take care of ur needs. u can add other packages u need from the package management window if u need them

hope this was helpful. post here if u hav new queries.
ENJOY!!

technomodel

Journeyman
sorry for spamming :) :) . i misread, thought u had two partitions :oops: :oops:
u can install linux in E: if it's not an ntfs partition, but it's preferable to install linux in a unix based fs like ext3. to do so, just delete the last partion following the steps i told u and install linux as before.
post the make of ur modem 4 ur last query.

go4inet

In the zone
But anyone cud give us a good tutorial for installing any of Linux Flaours i my system, I currently have Windows XP installed !

?

BlAsTeR

Broken In
This will give you a good idea about installing redhat 9 and fedora core 2.

*teachtweak.hollosite.com/tutorials/Gnome_Install.swf

If this does not work then download and install flash player from macromedia.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom