How to install linux 6.5 / 7.3 OS in lenovo Thinkstation P520 ?????

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Can you elaborate which linux distro you want to install? 6.5 or 7.3 are not linux versions.

OP
S

SOURIN

Broken In
Can you elaborate which linux distro you want to install? 6.5 or 7.3 are not linux versions.
Yeh its RHEL 6.5 or RHEL 7.3 to be specific on Lenovo Thinkstation P520. I have changed it to legacy mode from UEFI and tried with these both OS which didn't worked out. I also tried a RHEL 5.2 version on it which followed the installation procedure but after rebooting showing Error 1962: No OS found.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
So first of all, what is your install media? Are you using a bootable USB?

And why are you using legacy boot? I am sure all versions of Red Hat since last 6 years have been supporting UEFI boot.

Also, could you describe the steps you have taken for installation so far?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
S

SOURIN

Broken In
Its a bootable DVD. I am having two 1TB HDD and so followed LVM and alloted the leftover space to root '/" and took 100MB for /boot and 16GB for swap. Thats all. RHEL 6.5 and 7.5 couldn't put a bite in it however RHEL 5.2 showed the installation process but ultimately couldn't.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Have you considered creating a UEFI bootable USB drive from the DVD and tried? It seems like the DVD is perhaps bad.

This will be easier if you get the ISO and create a UEFI bootable USB with that.

OP
S

SOURIN

Broken In
It seems everytime i am trying to install and it get stuck at a place where it shows somewhat like
ipmi_si:interface detection failed
ipmi_si: unable to find any system interfaces
...... then again showing some hexadecimal figures and then showing like child_error etc and same errors in bunch of lines getting repeated until i terminate the installation

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I would suggest getting a new iso or disc just to be sure. These look like generic errors that could mean anything.

OP
S

SOURIN

Broken In
Just tell me one thing whether RHEL 6.5 can be installed in Lenovo ThinkStation P520. Whether kernel of 6.5 will be able to understand the new hardware of P520?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I looked up RHEL 6.5 and it looks like it's using Linux kernel ver 2.6. It seems likely that this kernel might not support new hardware, or it might be hard to find drivers for it. Perhaps you should try RHEL 7.6 since it uses a newer kernel version and should have better hardware support.

OP
S

SOURIN

Broken In
YEh today could install through a bootable dvd RHEL 7.5 ..... the kernal supported .... thanks for the suggestions.

Top Bottom