How to get Hardware from outside India & Related Doubts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hulo

Broken In
Keith Sebastian said:
Hulo said:
Keith Sebastian said:
Try it after you've discovered that one of your bags has been slit open by baggage handlers (no wonder the baggage took 1/2 hr to arrive)

As far as I know, Baggage handlers belong to the airlines or airport authority and not customs.

As for morality, neither the customs officers nor many of the passengers act morally. I have seen many fellow passengers sneaking out with goods costing lakhs in their baggage and getting away without declaring it to customs or people bringing excess amount of whisky using their contacts in customs. This is the symptom of the moral degeneration prevailing in every sphere of our country. Aare bhai, India hai na! Chalta hai. What surprises me is that these very people become very moral and upright when they stay abroad. Why blame customs alone? We are looting the nation according to our ability and they are looting the nation according to their ability. The nation is the loser.

avi_avadhut

Broken In
Need help guys

Hi guys,

enjoying days in Japan here.

I am planning something....

while coming back in september i will take good machine from here or Singapore.

i think japan is not cheap but i guess singapore is.

can you guys please let me know if i buy something from japan will it be cheaper than india.

i want

Good Asus mobo (939)
Good proc - 3200+ (939) - i dont know much about types of AMD proc.
good PCIe Card - 6600GT / 6680 GT - depends on budget
Good storage space than speed - 160 / 250 GB
Sony / Liteon - DVD - dual layer.
most probably Altec Lancing - 2.1 / 5.1 - depends on budget.
I POD - 30 GB
i already have 1 GB DDR - 400 MHz so i can use it as Dual chanel.
Good cooler for proc + graphic card also.
any more suggesion plzzzzzz.

how much all should cost in singapore ( and india )

please update me about duty / custome / any other tax applicable if i buy something in japan / singapore.

is there someone who can help me out.

is there any site which will help me out.

Thanks in advance guys.............

avi

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
All I can say is that Japan should be fairly cheap but watch out for Japanese manuals :lol:

Also, you have quite an extensive list there so I guess you will have to pay customs duty on them unless you want to evade the customs (risky) or if you have contacts ;)

AlienTech

In the zone
I am with Keith Sebastian on this. IF someone is bringing a FEW items then its okay... I had like 10 cards that I bought in clearence for $5 each and they wanted rs 5000 each duty for it, I tried to tell them these are OLD stuff, out dated and it is just for my hobby not really worth anything to regular people but they thought I was trying to smuggle gold into the country. They xrayed the baggage. I said keep the cards but they said they will hold it until I leave and I need to pick it up on the way back paying more in storage fees.. Except I left by different airport.... cause I got mauled by people outside trying to take me to the bus which took me to the other airport. Man its a scarey place! Inside and out! Dont know why they dont secure the bloddy place and let all the beggars into the airport unlike any other place in the world.

I had sent by mail 2 manuals for a cam corder and the remote and some home movie cd's.. customs duty over rs 5000.... I told my dad you are crazy to go pay for it! And I thought the postage of $40 was outrageous for it and cost more than the stuff..

Now you can bring in pre made CD's/DVD's and its no problem... I had a bag full of DVD's and they did not even look at it even though they saw it, was protecting the PC CARDS in the same bag. Game machines no prob either... Laptops are not prob... Printers no prob...

So it depends on things.. IF they dont understand it, its like SPREAD EM TERRORIST!!!

AlienTech

In the zone
>>can you guys please let me know if i buy something from japan will it be cheaper than india. <<

The biggest reason to buy stuff in india itself! SERVICE!! If something goes bad you have the option of yelling at someone. Some foreign stuff will just work properly with no problems. But IF you have problems you are also out of luck. So even if the quality is bad and cost more, better to buy locally....

Re: Need help guys

avi_avadhut said:
can you guys please let me know if i buy something from japan will it be cheaper than india.

That's something YOU should be telling US. You're the one with first hand access to Jap prices.

-Keith

jatinkompelli

Broken In
Hi
:D well my friend told me that when someone i.e ur friend,relatives etc, is bringing stuffs from outside india then ask them to break the seal of the packet. :D
:D So if they ask you then u can tell that it is a used one. :D
:D I think it works. :D

jatinkompelli said:
Hi
:D well my friend told me that when someone i.e ur friend,relatives etc, is bringing stuffs from outside india then ask them to break the seal of the packet. :D
:D So if they ask you then u can tell that it is a used one. :D
:D I think it works. :D

NO IT DOESN'T. You need to have a reciept that shows the date of purchase was atleast 6 months prior (or is it 4 months).

-Keith

supersaiyan

In the zone
i am going to singapore in a few days. i am going to buy a new rig there. i wanna ask that when i bring it back will the customs charge nething. if they do should i bring individual parts or the whole assembled comp so as to save custom duty.

imjimmy

Broken In
The limit is 25 K so if you bring the componenents seperately- there is no duty for sure. And the custome officers will not harrass you without reason.
Distribute ure stuff among people..e.g friends..

However the thing to consider is the Warranty especially for the processor and the motherboard.

Do companies like Intel,AMD,ASUS etc offer international warranties on their stuff? That shd be important , i guess otherwise it's a risk..

godzi_85

In the zone
hmm i think no customs are applicable on laptops, and a complete assembled computer... (nto sure about the computer though).... correct me if i`m wrong..

i wanna know...
one of my uncle`s friend`s lives in US.. and if i tell him to send stuff to me.. what would be the cheapest way to send stuff??
please let me know..

rohanbee

Padawan
Cheapest way to send stuff is by hand through someone. Rest it will be very expensive.
Laptops have NO customs duty. !! period.
I just brought mine in. They took one look and let me through.
Unfortunately the same is not for computer components or a full rig. You might get into trouble. Its not worth it. I've seen singapore prices............the difference is not substantial.

imjimmy

Broken In
Unfortunately the same is not for computer components or a full rig. You might get into trouble. Its not worth it. I've seen singapore prices............the difference is not substantial.

Even if he gets the rig - he won't be in trouble with the customs since the limit is 25000. And obviously if the value is more - he can redistribute some parts to someone else.

The real talking point is the warranty. As i said before i am not sure if Intel, AMD and ASUS offer international warranties or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom