How to compress 4k HD video to mp4 using hevc and h265 codec and fdk_aac.

rupeshforu3

In the zone
Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have PC and a DVD drive. From others I have bought a DVD which consists of video but the quality is too high and so size also. I want to compress them to mp4.

I have brought three DVDs from my friend and these consists of upto 30 .vob files and the total files size is upto 32 GB.

I have opened the properties of one file and it is showing that video bitrate is 5500 kbps and audio bitrate is 320 kbps and video resolution is 2400 by 2000 etc.,.

Now I want to convert these vob files to mp4 using hevc and h265 video codec and fdk_aac audio codec.

I have tried to convert these vob files using handbrake and avidemux in both Windows and Linux operating systems.

To convert one file it is taking time upto two hours.

Someone suggested that we must have separate hardware hevc pci card to encode any video to mp4 but my PC is old I mean it has amd radeon 3000 HD graphics.

Can any one of you suggest how to convert these vob files to mp4 with 1024 by 768 resolution and at 1100 video bitrate and 96 kbps audio bitrate.

Regards,
Rupesh.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Hmm converting high res files will take a toll on the machine, you need fast hardware capable of transcoding to be able to do it easily. Do you have an intel GPU by any chance, if you have Intel HD 3000 and above, it should be possible to use intel quicksync which would be somewhat faster than regular encode/decode.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
I have one desktop PC which is old which has amd processor and graphics.

I have another laptop which has i5 processor. The specific about this laptop is it has hybrid dual graphics I mean Intel and amd graphics.

I am providing the name of the laptop and so can you search specifications in net and tell whether I can use quick sync.

Laptop name : Toshiba Satellite C55-B894.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Check if you have intel hd 4400, click run -> type dxdiag, press enter, open display tab.

Remember Intel quicksync doesnt compress file sizes very well

This is a new guide, im not sure if it works with old Intel HD graphics but its worth a try.

Last edited:
OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
Check if you have intel hd 4400, click run -> type dxdiag, press enter, open display tab.

Remember Intel quicksync doesnt compress file sizes very well

This is a new guide, im not sure if it works with old Intel HD graphics but its worth a try.

Thanks for your suggestion.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
Hi I am providing attachment which consists of the properties extracted from media info tool

Attachments

• mediainfo.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 148

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I have opened the properties of one file and it is showing that video bitrate is 5500 kbps and audio bitrate is 320 kbps and video resolution is 2400 by 2000 etc.,.
I doubt DVD video will have that high resolution of 2400 x 2000 which is far larger than a Bluray resolution.

Try Handbrake its too good for conversion. But the only bottleneck is your system. You will need a pretty fast CPU and excellent GPU if you want the job done within hour or so. Some comverter support Nvidia or AMD GPU encoding so conversion will be faster.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
You can also try VideoProc. I tried editing on this and its an excellent editor.
Worth spending money.

*www.videoproc.com/

Top Bottom