How to check whether a laptop is brand new or fake ?

udaylunawat

In the zone
I have heard many cases where dealer change the internals of a laptop and sell it. is this true ?
I have got an offer in nagpur for Lenovo y510p brand new with 4gb ram@ just 42k. How can I check whether the lappie is fake or not? How can I check whether warranty is available or not ? multiple questions are arising in my mind. pls help me need to buy tomorrow itself.

Last edited:

ritvij

rated R
I have heard many cases where dealer change the internals of a laptop and sell it. is this true ?
I have got an offer in nagpur for Lenovo y510p brand new with 4gb ram@ just 42k. How can I check whether the lappie is fake or not? How can I check whether warranty is available or not ? multiple questions are arising in my mind. pls help me need to buy tomorrow itself.

well, the offer is great. check wether the dealer gives you a sealed unit. If it is, there is 99% surity in most cases that the laptop is fine.
if he offers an open unit, check for friction marks on the screws at the base of the laptop.
also, start up the system and use cpu z or gpu z for a full configuration check.
As for warranty, call up Lenovo and ask them with the serial number or wether the dealer is an authorized one.

OP
U

udaylunawat

In the zone
well, the offer is great. check wether the dealer gives you a sealed unit. If it is, there is 99% surity in most cases that the laptop is fine.
if he offers an open unit, check for friction marks on the screws at the base of the laptop.
also, start up the system and use cpu z or gpu z for a full configuration check.
As for warranty, call up Lenovo and ask them with the serial number or wether the dealer is an authorized one.
thanks ritvij will check it thoroughly.

$hadow

Geek in making
Basically start with seal. And then look if the windows is activated in front of you and if not then the laptop is used

OP
U

udaylunawat

In the zone
nope didn't buy it. Used cpu z and found out that it had a changed cpu with an unbelievable low clock frequency of 1.2 ghz. They even changed the gpu . searched all over lamington road but failed. Now thinking of buying
Lenovo z50 (fhd/i5 ulv /8 GB ram /840m)[52000] or a

dell 3542 (touch /i5 ulv/4 GB ram /840m Backlit keyboard) [48000].

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Those shops should get an warning from lenovo. You should send an email to lenovo India citing the way the seller wanted to sell you a wrong config.

anyways, +1 to Z50

ritvij

rated R
nope didn't buy it. Used cpu z and found out that it had a changed cpu with an unbelievable low clock frequency of 1.2 ghz. They even changed the gpu . searched all over lamington road but failed. Now thinking of buying

if backlit is a must go for dell and upgrade ram as required.
post a screenshot of your findings if possible. And do email Lenovo India

OP
U

udaylunawat

In the zone
yeah +1 to that. and those idiots were saying that they modified it with prior permission from Lenovo. great bunch of idiots.
Those shops should get an warning from lenovo. You should send an email to lenovo India citing the way the seller wanted to sell you a wrong config.

anyways, +1 to Z50

OP
U

udaylunawat

In the zone
if backlit is a must go for dell and upgrade ram as required.
post a screenshot of your findings if possible. And do email Lenovo India
Dell Those laptops look so sober, Backlit or no Backlit they would never feel premium except that 7000 and xps series. Damn those people at dell. +1 to lenovo z50.Anyways acc. to a review those idiots at dell forgot to design an extra memory slot. Cheapos trying to stick a non upgradeable lappie to customers. *tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/23/9325976d7b1e6657d44d6141588964ec.jpg

Changed the whole motherboard.....I mean, how is it even possible ? I can't see any dealer going to those lengths to gain profit, and such changes would require structural modification to chassis.
Are you sure that it was Y510p to begin with ?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
yup buddy 100% sure.

Nope not possible to change CPU to such a low frequency one.
The thing that you saw is quite common. Haswell processors automatically lower the clock speed to save battery even when AC power is on.
You should have taken Prime95 in a PD and burn in tested the CPU. This would have kicked the CPU to high performance mode.

It is downright impossible to change the GPU in Y510p.

$hadow

Geek in making
Nope not possible to change CPU to such a low frequency one.
The thing that you saw is quite common. Haswell processors automatically lower the clock speed to save battery even when AC power is on.
You should have taken Prime95 in a PD and burn in tested the CPU. This would have kicked the CPU to high performance mode.

It is downright impossible to change the GPU in Y510p.
Is changing gpu possible in y500?

Night-Rider

Journeyman
Good that you didn't fall for that. That is why all major manufacturers do not recommend buying from local shops but authorized distributors only. :)

Top Bottom