how do i share my laptop internet with my desktop

jack2012

Right off the assembly line
I have a laptop and i use data card for accessing internet. I also have a desktop. I want to share internet connection from my laptop to desktop. pls help.

Hrishi

First of all Welcome to TDF forum jack.

I am not sure whether this will work with Data card or not , but this works like charm with My Ethernet based Broadband.
You need to understand ICS(Interent connection sharing) for this.
You need to connect your PC to laptop either using a Wifi-Wifi based connection or ELAn-ELan based connection.

Goto Control Panel->Network and connections.
Change adapter settings. ( Here you have to enable your wi-fi/Ethernet adapter device in the laptop).

Now goto Data card connection properties and you will see a tab called "sharing".
Click on the tab , and you will get a option to place a check mark. It will say "Allow other computer to connect to internet using this computer's internet connection.? ".

Place a check mark over there , and in case if it asks you for choosing which adapter you will like to use then select "Wifi/Ethernet device".

It will enable DHCP server on your laptop and will assign an I.P. address to device connecting to it.
Now create a New Ad-Hoc networking profile on your laptop (for wifi based connections).
Once you have created an Ad-Hoc wi-fi network on your lappy , open your PC and connect to the laptop using the wi-fi/Etherent.
Now select the "Home Network " option over there, once the IP has been assigned.

Notes : Make sure theLAN/Wi-fi Adapter present on your PC has "Automatic IP assignment enabled." else it would become a PITA for ICS and may not work.

OP
J

jack2012

Right off the assembly line
Hi Rishi,

Thanks for your reply.
I am trying to understand what you said in your post. So i am changing the scenario a bit here and please let me know if i am correct. I am using Desktop as a source for internet and laptop as the receiver :

First, I will connect the data card to my desktop pc.
then i will go to Control Panel->Network and connections and will change adapter settings.
Next step would be going to Data card connection properties -> "sharing" tab
and will check mark - "Allow other computer to connect to internet using this computer's internet connection.? ".
Finally, i will create a New Ad-Hoc networking profile on my desktop.

then on m,y laptop i will connect to the desktop using the wi-fi.

Now i want to understand what hardware i will require in order to get this working.

Thanks

Top Bottom