Honor fingerprint scanner discussion thread

Digit-Brand

The Digit brand team
Admin
Participate in our Honor discussions, post your opinions, get likes on your posts and stand to win an Honor 10 worth ₹33,000 & up to ₹70,000 PayTM cash!

When you look at the Honor 10, the first thing you would most likely notice is the near seamless design. However, after a while you’ll notice that the phone seems to be missing a pretty important feature in modern smartphones, the fingerprint sensor.

A quick glance suggests that the phone may not have a fingerprint sensor at all. The rear panel as well as the bezels around the display seem to be completely flush. However, look a little closer at the bottom bezel, and you’ll notice that there is a small area marked under the glass. That’s where the fingerprint sensor is located.

Honor says that it has managed an industry first by placing an ultrasonic fingerprint sensor under the glass. This, of course, helps to create the seamless look of the phone. In fact, Honor notes that the ultrasonic fingerprint sensor also offers a stable unlocking experience for users, and can even work even when the fingers are wet or greasy.

Of course, if you are one of those guys who thinks that fingerprint sensors are passé, then fret not. The Honor 10 also offers Face Unlock. Honor says that the tech behind the system allows the user to unlock the device from any angle, be it portrait or landscape.

The Honor 10 is said to unlock in a speedy 0.064 of a second. Which is pretty blazing fast no matter how you look at it. And to ensure no one can misuse the system, the phone will not unlock the device if it detects that your eyes are closed. So you can sleep a little easy knowing that your buddies won’t be able to unlock the phone while you sleep, and post random status messages from your phone.

So do you prefer Face Unlock or traditional fingerprint sensors? Or would you rather have both?

Like we said earlier, post your comments and stand to win an Honor 10 worth ₹30K and up to ₹70,000 PayTM money. For more info, check here in a new tab for more details.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
If a "smart" phone is launching without a fingerprint reader after 2016, it should rather be called a dumb phone and priced under 4k. Front fingerprint reader is better imo (currently using both OP3 and RN3).

Face unlock is nothing new or special. So, if face unlock comes as an added minor feature rather than "the ultra important innovation" in a phone without removing fingerprint reader, then it would be appreciated.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
IMO face recognition and fingerprint recognition are really marketing gimmicks. I don't see it becoming mainstream unless someone uncovers some flaw in traditional unlocking methods.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Wtf ? Finger print sensor is definitely not a marketing gimmick. Its as mainstream as mainstream can be. The true question is the purpose of this thread ? Do Honor phones do something special in their FP Sensors like Vivo did with the sensor underneath the glass ?

Minion

Conversation Architect
fingerprint scanners are better and more secure. face unlock is a gimmick no one needs them just because Apple has implemented it, doesn't make it a must-have feature.

Allu Azad

Time Ruins Everything
The Honor 10 also offers Face Unlock. Honor says that the tech behind the system allows the user to unlock the device from any angle, be it portrait or landscape.

Will it also unlock if it is shown a photograph of the user?

Personally I prefer to use FP as I can use the same with apps like Tez and Lastpass to unlock them as well.

PrashantK007

Journeyman
I think both are necessary in latest smartphones as fingerprints are unique but if it is on back of phone face unlock can be better.

Charchit Sharma

Journeyman
So do you prefer Face Unlock or traditional fingerprint sensors? Or would you rather have both?
Both are good, the fingerprint sensor is safer, Face Unlock is 2018, I believe unless fingerprint is under the glass without "chin" having the fingerprint at back would be good as consumers are used to it. Only Apple has good secure FaceID, oneplus failed recently as someone with a photograph unlocked the phone. I think that's why OnePlus face unlock is faster than FaceID, having both is good!

Dr.Anam

Right off the assembly line
Both fingerprint and face unlock are reliable as the former us unique for every individual and the latter uses AI to detect. My concern here is, what is you're sleeping and someone slowly places your finger to unlock your phone? How would you trust that? You never know if someone does that to you.. I think that there should be an iris detection in the phone. The patterns of the iris in a human eye are also unique for everyone. That's what my opinion is.

SilentAssassin

Broken In
The ultrasonic sensor is the next level in fingerprint scanner even if it takes some time to identify and need to hard press but it ensures security, unlike face unlock. My friend usually worries about his Sweaty hands as his Samsung j5 prime doesn't recognize his Fingerprint. Kudos to you guys.

Last edited:

@riya123

Broken In
Positioning fingerprint scanners on the front of the device isn’t a new thing, but the Honor 10 has one of the first commercially available ultrasonic fingerprint scanners (most others are capacitive). As such there’s no groove or other physical marking separating it from the glass.

PrashantK007

Journeyman
Positioning fingerprint scanners on the front of the device isn’t a new thing, but the Honor 10 has one of the first commercially available ultrasonic fingerprint scanners (most others are capacitive). As such there’s no groove or other physical marking separating it from the glass.
Yes, the front fingerprint is better.

Manish Vijay Vibhandik

You should know that a finger print scanner does only recognizes only the finger print not the situation in which it gets scanned.Like when you are sleeping and some one just puts your finger on sensor and it's done.Nothing to worry about what he will do on his own the cheap thing i ever wont do.
And to talk about the AI Facial scan it sometimes might lead you making disgust like taking your cellphone in front of your face and giving it a chance whenever we have to unlock the phone.What your face is badly scratched :bump:.

So its better if we should have an voice or retina scan though retina scan is like face scan but it is better than finger print.And about the voice it's not necessary to keep your phone close if the microphone has good sensibility.

TechGeek1

Broken In
You should know that a finger print scanner does only recognizes only the finger print not the situation in which it gets scanned.Like when you are sleeping and some one just puts your finger on sensor and it's done.Nothing to worry about what he will do on his own the cheap thing i ever wont do.
And to talk about the AI Facial scan it sometimes might lead you making disgust like taking your cellphone in front of your face and giving it a chance whenever we have to unlock the phone.What your face is badly scratched :bump:.

So its better if we should have an voice or retina scan though retina scan is like face scan but it is better than finger print.And about the voice it's not necessary to keep your phone close if the microphone has good sensibility.
Having your fingers scanned while sleeping ? Sleep with guys you trust. And BTW fingerprint sensor is far better than voice recognition in terms of security even if you have unique phrase to unlock your phone you may have to pronounce it in public. But retinal scanner is really helpful but requires to much optimizations of hardware size to make it fit in a smartphone. I hope Honor would take a chance to do so.

Akshat Goyal

I would rather have both face unlock and fingerprint sensor features in today's generation as these two are the must have features in every phone now.

Top Bottom