Honor AppGallery discussion thread

Digit-Brand

The Digit brand team
Admin
Participate in our Honor discussions, post your opinions, get likes on your posts and stand to win an Honor 10 worth ₹33,000 & up to ₹70,000 PayTM cash!

As we know, on May 15th the Honor 10 made it's debut in London. As was expected it launched with honor's new AppGallery feature, which has been getting a lot of attention recently.

For those who don't know, the AppGallery is Honor's official App Distribution Platform that allows users to download, manage and share apps on their Honor devices.

The AppGallery has exceeded 120 billion downloads in China, and averages 160 million user downloads a month! And that number is only set to skyrocket, as all global Honor phone users need only update their EMUI system to the latest version to get access to all of these brilliant apps.

Obviously, this also means that developers across the globe now have an all new market to target, and we're sure the developers on this forum must be rubbing their hands in glee.

Let's take a look at what driving the buzz behind the AppGallery:

• Carefully selected, easy to find apps
The interface is pretty similar to what most people are already used to, so there's no hindrance by way of learning curves here. There are a few tabs that are visible on the top, which help find apps more easily.

upload_2018-5-18_19-18-17.png
On the front page of the AppGallery you see Featured apps, which include New apps we love, New games we love, Innovative apps, Editor's recommendations, and other categories.

upload_2018-5-18_19-19-22.png
As you would expect, Categories has 18 well-defined categories, which include our favourites – Games, Food, Photography and Shopping.

upload_2018-5-18_19-24-33.png
The Top tab is basically a listing of the top ranked Apps and Games, and it depends on the parameters you choose. All Apps would give you the top ranked apps or games on the store, or you could choose to sort by most popular apps, most popular games, etc.

As you'd expect, you can also Manage your apps from the AppGallery, and that includes deleting or updating apps, cleaning up space, connecting to a PC as well as managing updates, installations, installation packages and more.

Finally, the Me section shows you Gifts, Comments, Purchase history, Settings, Help, and other functions; The Gifts section is AppGallery's unique rewards channel that provides users with coupons, VIP privileges, discount vouchers, and other exclusive premium items.

• Great Apps, Great Rewards
As users, you get some great rewards via some very popular apps, which include coupons, vouchers, VIP privileges, and much more. In addition you get some really cool offers based on the region you're located in. For example, European users get exclusive rewards including a 90-day membership to the TIDAL music app, a 10-euro voucher on the Eatwith app, and the Apus Camera app offers an exclusive filter, a PIP gift pack and various premium stickers.

Users in the Asia Pacific region (that's us), get a 5% discount on Easybook, an exclusive one-month VIP membership on the Japanese comic strip app Manga, and many more offers.

If you're in the Middle East or North Africa, you get a 10% discount on the popular e-commerce platform Jollychic, and there will be more and more offers pouring in from app developers across the globe pretty soon.

• Four layers of security
Everyone's really bothered about security these days, for obvious reasons, because our phones have access to pretty much all our digital data. This is why the AppGallery requires all apps to pass four stages of security screenings, including (but not limited to), privacy leak examinations, security vulnerability scans, malicious behavior detections, and manual real-name authentications, as well as the EU General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR).

If you're a developer, Honor promises to give you basic appraisal guarantees, and even app development and testing support, as well as promotion and support programs, in order to ensure that you get higher app downloads. This ensures that you focus more on making an awesome app, instead of worrying about promotions and testing.

So what do you guys think of the AppGallery thus far? Any Honor users here who updated their EMUI system? Developers who are looking forward to this or have questions about the AppGallery?

Let the discussion begin :)

Like we said earlier, post your comments and stand to win an Honor 10 worth ₹33K and up to ₹70,000 PayTM money. For more info, check here in a new tab for more details.

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Could you please explain how is this app store different from others such as the Play Store and Amazon's app store? From what I understand from the above post, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference.

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
It looks like the standard features that's expected from an app store are the same, but developers ought to love it because they will cater to them far more than existing and popular stores.

Plus, a small advantage of branded stores is that the apps there are tested far more thoroughly on the models of that brand than the rather generic testing of, say, the play store. I'm not talking about security testing, because those are done seriously across all stores, but I assume Honor tests apps for Honor devices far more thoroughly than the Play store does for Honor devices.

Apart from that, it should be a pretty similar experience I guess.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Makes sense, but I think it would be more useful to developers if adoption rate is high. Perhaps good discounts will help too.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
If an app is present on both play store and appgallery and it gets an update, which would be given higher priority for downloading and installing it? There have been instances of apps from play store getting replaced by apps from brand's app store without user's knowledge (by Xiaomi IIRC)

If an app is present on both play store and appgallery and it gets an update, which would be given higher priority for downloading and installing it? There have been instances of apps from play store getting replaced by apps from brand's app store without user's knowledge (by Xiaomi IIRC)
Ha ha ha, that's a good question
Well I think the play store is the better option for downloading apps

Charchit Sharma

Journeyman
Could you please explain how is this app store different from others such as the Play Store and Amazon's app store? From what I understand from the above post, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference.
I think they tried to make this app for their EMUI perspective, having fewer compatibility issues if the app is made in-house.

Top Bottom