High end laptop for graphics design (mac vs pc)

doomgiver

Warframe
Filling in for a cousin.

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
50k to 120k INR

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
13 to 17 inches, will be using external monitor most of the time

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
heavy graphics design, adobe suite (illustrator, photoshop), working with large files

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
something with a discrete gpu, fast ram and an ssd for minimizing load times.
13 inch macbook pro (i know, it does not have a discrete gpu, its the one recommended by his colleagues)

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: apple (almost everyone recommended it, because duh, graphics designers and macs)
b. Dislike: personally, apple. i'd buy anything other than apple. but "graphics design" lol.

6) Anything else you would like to say?

Screen resolution ( as high as possible, if there is a Retina-type display, it will be prioritized )
Battery back up ( any, longer is better ofc )
Purchase place ( local/online )

OP
doomgiver

doomgiver

Warframe
some more questions :

1. what is the best type of ram available in laptops? flipkart shows only upto DDR4.
2. is it cheaper to install after market SSD or to buy a laptop with an SSD pre installed?
3. anything else i should be aware of?

OP
doomgiver

doomgiver

Warframe
so i have been checking flipkart for suitable laptops.

EVERY SINGLE LISTING IS COMPLETELY USELESS.

every single chu**** has simply written "i7 7th gen/8gb/1tb hdd/windows/2gb graphics".

ok no problem, i understand thats the title, but why the fk would you not write the important stuff in the description? i have to open each listing and manually read thru.

the entire pc/laptop market is a complete clusterfk.

thank god for desktops.

OP
doomgiver

doomgiver

Warframe
Get a quote from www.azom.systems or be willing to import laptop from USA/dubai unless you want crap configs.

in the configs section, they write

"
Intel® i3-8100 Desktop
Intel® i5-8600K Desktop
Intel® i7-8700K Desktop
"

i am confused, are they putting desktop cpus in laptops?

also, is this an indian company? or we'll still have to import?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
in the configs section, they write

"
Intel® i3-8100 Desktop
Intel® i5-8600K Desktop
Intel® i7-8700K Desktop
"

i am confused, are they putting desktop cpus in laptops?

also, is this an indian company? or we'll still have to import?
Yes, they are using desktop CPUs in laptops. Azom is an Indian company and uses Clevo barebones for laptops. You won't need to import if you buy from Azom.

OP
doomgiver

doomgiver

Warframe
ok thanks.

and i just saw the macbook pro configs.

1 lakh for integrated graphics. LMAO.

i really do hope macbooks are not hiding some type of special feature, because everyone seems to recommend a mac over a windows machine for "graphics design".

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
ok thanks.

i really do hope macbooks are not hiding some type of special feature, because everyone seems to recommend a mac over a windows machine for "graphics design".
You might need a workstation GPU but I'm not sure if those in your budget would perform better than consumer grade gaming GPUs. Also, if you do highly colour accurate work, use an external monitor having 99-100% sRGB/ DCI-P3 coverage as required and lowest possible Delta E values.

OP
doomgiver

doomgiver

Warframe
yeah, will be using an external monitor.

so we checked out some laptops, an Apple macbook pro 13 inch and an HP i5 7300HQ, GTX1050. ran a large photoshop file and added some filters.

weirdly, the macbook appeared to perform better, even though it lacks a discrete card.

the HP had windows 10 on it. would that be killing the performance here? can you even get windows 7 "legit" anymore?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Acer Predator Helios 300 Core i7 7th Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/128 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home/4 GB Graphics) G3-572 Gaming Laptop Rs.109990 Price in India - Buy Acer Predator Helios 300 Core i7 7th Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/128 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home/4 GB Graphics) G3-572 Gaming Laptop Black Online - Acer : Flipkart.com

OP
doomgiver

doomgiver

Warframe
yes, i saw this in ur other post.

however, its a bit pricey for what it does.

an i7, a ssd and some more ram over the cheaper version.

there's a cheaper version available for 72k, here :

Online Shopping India | Buy Mobiles, Electronics, Appliances, Clothing and More Online at Flipkart.com

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
yes, i saw this in ur other post.

however, its a bit pricey for what it does.

an i7, a ssd and some more ram over the cheaper version.

there's a cheaper version available for 72k, here :

Online Shopping India | Buy Mobiles, Electronics, Appliances, Clothing and More Online at Flipkart.com
Most mid level and high end laptops in India have BS pricing. Helios 300 and other 1050Ti laptops are worth 50-60k max (which they actually go for in sales).

Nerevarine

Incarnate
ok thanks.

The reason for that is that OS X final cut pro has real time rendering using intel quick sync. No windows editor can do this, afaik. The pricing in the end is atrocious, considering you wont be pirating final cut pro also.
For an enterprise system, where you wont be paying a dime, a mac is worth it.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
The reason for that is that OS X final cut pro has real time rendering using intel quick sync. No windows editor can do this, afaik.
Intel® Quick Sync Video
CyberLink MediaShow*
CyberLink PowerDirector*
Grass Valley EDIUS*
MAGIX*
Roxio*
Corel Pinnacle Studio 19*
Sony Catalyst Media Production*
Adobe Premiere Elements*
Grass Valley Mync*

I also didn't knew these would be quick sync enabled.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah, will be using an external monitor.

so we checked out some laptops, an Apple macbook pro 13 inch and an HP i5 7300HQ, GTX1050. ran a large photoshop file and added some filters.

weirdly, the macbook appeared to perform better, even though it lacks a discrete card.

the HP had windows 10 on it. would that be killing the performance here? can you even get windows 7 "legit" anymore?
Forget about win 7 after this meltdown & spectre bugs.Did you even check HP laptop was using nvidia card for photoshop & not intel graphics?On laptops,by default,intel graphics is used as default graphics most of the time & one needs to specifically add application exe in nvidia control panel to use nvidia graphics card for that application.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Intel® Quick Sync Video

I also didn't knew these would be quick sync enabled.
having quick sync support is not equivalent to real time rendering. Quick sync can be used in a number of ways, even recording using OBS, has that.

Im not sure if any of these softwares do support realtime rendering, last i checked, there was no windows alternative.

Top Bottom