High end gaming rig

Gokul J

Broken In
First of all, let me make it clear that I have close to no experience in desktop rigs. I usually travel a lot and hence carry an alienware or an msi with me. Since I'm now looking to settle down, I'd like some advice. Thanks in advance.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')

Ans:

High end gaming. 4k preferably

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.

Ans:
3 lakhs. Can extend by 50k max

3. Planning to overclock?

Ans:
I don't know really.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?

Ans:

Windows 7.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?

Ans:

2TB plus
I have a 1 TB Samsung 840 SSD besides.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.

Ans:

No. I have a 4k TV. If it won't work, please suggest a wall mountable 4k monitor. Exclude this from budget.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?

Ans:

I have a bluray writer.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?

Ans:

This month end, preferably.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?

Ans:

My friend will do it for me.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?

Ans:

Chennai. No local purchase. Online from flipkart, Amazon. Please refrain from suggesting ebay unless you know a real good dealer. Can import if required. Do factor in taxes into the budget.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?

Ans:

The cabinet will be a core part of the living room. So looks are important.

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Since you are going to spend quite a fortune here, I'd suggest you to wait for broadwell desktop CPU launch and maxwell GTX Titan X india launch

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
since you travel a lot, buy stuff in US, if you get there obviously.
and why wait, just buy the whole system, later replace cpu only. sell the used cpu, gpu.
i am assuming the cpu socket won't change.
waiting is a stupid game.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
CPU - Intel Core i7 5960X (Haswell-E) -80000,

Cooler - Corsair H110i GT -12000,

MB - Asus Rampage V Extreme (X99-Chipset) -29000,

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32GB(8x4GB) 2400mhz DDR4 -45500,

SSD - Samsung 850 Pro 500GB SSD -24000,

GPU - Zotac GTX980 4GB AMP Edition -55000,

Cabinet - Corsair 780T -16000,

PSU - Corsair AX1200i -25000,

4k Monitor - Samsung U28D590D 28 inches LED -45000,

HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TBx2 HDD (in RAID 0) -11000,

Mouse - Logitech G402 -1800,

Keyboard - Logitech G510 -5700.

TOTAL -3,50,000.

OP
G

Gokul J

Broken In
I'm a bit concerned if a single 980 will cut it for 4k gaming. And besides, do I really need to buy a separate 4k monitor?

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
4k tv is fine.. just that pixel density is less.. but still 4k tv is good.. you have to sit a little far behind on the couch.

for 3.5 lakhs.. you make sure you get over all good pc.. like good speakers.. great keyboard, mouse, dual monitors..(if not tv)
and of course great 7.1 speakers.. or headphones..

dont spend all money on cpu, graphics card. balance it out..
if you have separate home theater budget then its fine.. dump all money on PC.

everybody here completely forgets about speakers..
also get mic, camera..must for online chat, streaming and skyping in multiplayer.

TV setup, you will need wireless keyboard and mouse.
TV is more casual setup.. for hardcore go with dual monitor.. setup.. first screen is game screen.. 2nd screen is for running other apps.. browser.. chat..stats.. mods..hacks.. Virtual machines.. etc.
16gb ram is fine btw.

for more fun, consider sparing 20k for oculus rift dk2.. its insanely fun..!

Last edited:

vito scalleta

In the zone
a single gtx 980 wont handle games at 4k very well . get two of those and replace the 5960x with a 5820k (rs. 30k ) in the config suggested by bssunil.

OP
G

Gokul J

Broken In
I'm already looking into a home theatre setup from Bower and Wilkins. I'll get it separately . My main concern is the GPU. My friend recommended a 980 SLI but I guess it's better to wait for the Titan X, I guess. I have a 65 inch Bravia and I'm not willing to spend more on the whole monitor thing unless there might be some refresh rate issues or something. Thanks for all the input. Between, my friend is planning on getting an Alienware 15 970m version. Worth 1.2 lakhs?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I'm already looking into a home theatre setup from Bower and Wilkins. I'll get it separately . My main concern is the GPU. My friend recommended a 980 SLI but I guess it's better to wait for the Titan X, I guess. I have a 65 inch Bravia and I'm not willing to spend more on the whole monitor thing unless there might be some refresh rate issues or something. Thanks for all the input. Between, my friend is planning on getting an Alienware 15 970m version. Worth 1.2 lakhs?

Ask him to import Clevo P150SM-A from Xotic PC instead for 100k or ~80k if somebody brought it here. If the latter is possible, he can get a 980M version too. :)

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah

Ask your friend to buy this Sager NP8672 (Clevo P670SG) 980M Version instead of Alienware 15 970M Version:XOTIC PC | Sager NP8672 (Clevo P670SG) - 17.3" Gaming Notebook

ChironX

Broken In
Since you will be using the setup for gaming, I'd say an i7-4790K (Or non-K, depending upon your overclocking requirements) paired with a good Z97 motherboard should be a good base platform. Investing into X99 might look good for bragging rights but for gaming it is overkill IMHO. You will be better served with a good pair of GPUs to power 4K gaming at respectable FPS with high settings.

Currently the GTX980 SLI is the most potent option out there but it won't handle all the games in 4K with the details cranked up. That being said, the Titan X/ R9 390X is just around the corner so the safest bet would be to wait a bit before you pull the trigger.

Top Bottom