Hideo Kojima forms new studio and partnership with Sony

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
*cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Uis8ERxS7YAgk9SD6PIdIIRHl5I=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/5319647/kopro.0.jpg

Metal Gear series creator Hideo Kojima has officially moved on from Konami and has started a new independent studio. Kojima's new studio has a familiar name: Kojima Productions.

The new Kojima Productions' first title will be a new franchise and a PlayStation 4 console exclusive, according to a joint announcement with Sony Computer Entertainment.

Kojima announced his new post-Konami endeavor in a video posted to the official PlayStation YouTube channel.

"PlayStation's history is one of game innovation and great new franchises," said Andrew House, President and Global CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc, in a release. "Hideo Kojima has been a huge part of that history, and we are therefore delighted that he has chosen to bring his brand new project to life in partnership with PlayStation. We look forward to working with him on an exciting new game and warmly welcome him to the PlayStation family."

"I will be taking on a new challenge by establishing my own independent studio, and I am thrilled to be able to embark on this journey with PlayStation, who I have continued to work with all these past years," said Hideo Kojima, game designer, Kojima Productions. "I cannot wait to deliver, with PlayStation, a game that will become a compelling franchise."

Earlier today, Japan's Nikkei reported that Kojima's final day at Konami was Dec. 15 and that he was establishing a new studio.

Kojima himself confirmed that story on Twitter in a statement announcing his official departure from Konami.

"My employment contract with Konami has been terminated as of Dec 15th, so today marks a new start for me," Kojima tweeted. "I'm committed to be involved in creative activities for as long as I live. Look forward to what's coming."

For now, Kojima Productions has a new website and a new logo.

Top Bottom