Hidden Linux : Graphics envy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
*blogs.pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/tux-love/hiddenlinux.pngInstalling proprietary graphics drivers on Linux has always been a bit of a pain, and not something to inflict on nervous newcomers. Still, it's the only way to get the very best out of your graphics hardware, and both NVida and ATI have active Linux driver support programmes.

Simplifying what till now has been a command-line driven process is what lies behind Envy, a series of Python scripts specifically designed to automate graphics driver installations for Ubuntu and Debian users. Its simple GUI says it all...

*blogs.pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/tux-love/envy.jpg

Choose your task, click Apply, and it's away.

Behind the scenes it identifies your hardware, downloads the appropriate driver, sorts out dependencies, sets up xorg.conf (the Xserver's configuration file), and optionally reboots your system or restarts the graphics server, depending on whether you start it in GUI or command-line mode.

I've used Envy on more than a dozen installations now -- involving both NVidia and ATI graphics cards -- and it's always performed faultlessly. It's one of my installation essentials.

Source

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
ENvy is good, it did download many dependencies but it worked flawlessly. Just that whenever I boot in Linux my MOnitor's resolution is 1280x960

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
I posted about configuring AGP gfx cards in Linux and installing envy for Ubuntu at *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73149 previously.
Check that... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom