Help with HardDisk Space problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ms_karthik

Right off the assembly line
I have a 140 GB Hard Disk (60+80) Seagate.

I have six partitions. I have a separate partition of 6 GB just for Windows.

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 with all the latest patches and updates.

Of late, my C: drive which resides the Windows is out of space. Always it says there is no space. I followed Digit's advice to allocate a separate partition for Windows of 6 GB. But space is not enough. I even moved My Documents from my C: drive but to no avail.

Now i have only 142 MB free space in C: Drive. Somehow the system tends to be stable. I even disabled System Restore and reduced the space for Temp Internet files to minimum. Please tell me what to do.

Can I increase my C: drive space without losing any data.

My system config (may be of any use)
AMD Athlon 2000+
1 GB RAM (two 512 sticks) DDR
nVidia GeForce FX5200 (MSI)
140 GB HDD (60+80)
LG CD Writer
LG DVD ROM

These things run in background
Nortan Antivirus 2004
Microsoft AntiSpyware
Google Desktop Search

I even changed the Virtual Page Memory from my C: Drive
I also would like to know how much Virtual Memory is suggested for 1GB RAM

Thanks

geek_rohit

In the zone
If you wish to increase the size of the C partition, do so by the means of a partition manager like Norton Partition Manager. Since you have two hard drives you can take a backup of your data just in case and then increase the partition size.
It seems that you havn't changed the installation path of the applications. Install all the applications on the D or E, in short other than C. This will help too. 6GB would end up having very low free disk space with Windows XP. You might want to uninstall the unneeded windows addon applications, and all the unnecessary softwares.

krishnathelord

In the zone
ur increased size of win xp may be due to system restore
it consumes upto 3gb on ur hdd

disable the system restore facilty for my com property menu

as of virtual memory the ideal ratio is 2.5 times of the ram installed 8) :lol:

Curious Guest

Journeyman
I agree with krishnathelord. Furthermore you can move some programmes to other partitioner with 'application mover'. It is very safe indeed.

geek_rohit

In the zone
@krishnathelord, please read his post carefully. He clearly said that he had disabled system restore.
ms_karthik said:
I even disabled System Restore and reduced the space for Temp Internet files to minimum.

aadipa

Padawan
I suspect that you have enabled hibernet option anhat is dumping whole 1GB of your RAM to ur HDD. Please check for hidden system file named pagefile.sys in root of your Windows Drive.

You also said that you have Norton Antivirus 2004. This version comes with Norton Protected Recycle Bin which keeps upto 1500 last deleted files even if you remove them from your recycle bin. This is meant for better recovery of important data accidently deleted, but often takes up lot of space.

You may consider stopping this service, or empting Norton Protected Files after you Empty the recycle bin.

Also to visually find out where all your HDD space is gone, install this gr8 software.
*www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/
Spend some time in options to get yourseft a colored map of you HDD with the hidden files, and free space included.

This is what you will see.
Snapshot:
*www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/Graphics/ScreenSHSq1a.jpg
Here the larger rectangles means larger files. See which files are taking all your space.

saROMan

QA Juggler
bro..go to c:\windows\temp ..and see if there any temp file there..delete them
next go to c:\Documents and Settings\User name u log in\Local Settings\Temp

c:\Documents and Settings\User name u log in\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
and see if there are any files there delete them

next go to start-> Run->prefetch and clear all the contents

as u have moved my docs and Swap file ...so go to control panel->power options->Hybernation and disable it

its a suggesion that you rt click on Windows and program files(show hidden files if then r not)and see watz the size....some times..apps copy the setup in program files which remains there even after uninstall so u can chk for them also...

also go to my comp ->c: -> properties -> diskcleanup and see if any old chk disk files r there and clean them .....
hope it solves your problem :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom