Help with components, climate and 'clocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

kskarun

Right off the assembly line
Here is my start list of components for my PC that I will use primarily for running heavy applications like Visual Studio and Virtual PC. My budget is around Rs.45000 (including I/O devices). I haven't bought any components in India for more than a decade, so am completely out of touch with current market. Would greatly appreciate your help.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 with an eye for OC'ing - haven't done that before, but looks like fun!

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q Pro

Heatsink: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro with MX-2 thermal paste.
(Any other suggestions?)

Memory: G.Skill 4GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

Video Card: Diamond Viper Radeon HD 3850

Hard disk: Western Digital 640GB

(The links are from NewEgg since I'm planning to ask someone to buy it from US for me. If these are available in India for a comparable price, I'll get it from here.)

And now, some questions:

1. What is a good shop in Bangalore where can I get these (or similar) components?

2. Is the heatsink compatible with the motherboard mentioned above? I've read there are issues with the heatsink not clearing the fins of the motherboard. How correct is this?

3. Is the PC2 8500 memory an overkill, or will I see any improvement over a PC2 6400 version?

4. I am not a gamer, but frequently do video editing and encoding; however, I'd like to have the ability to play RTS games (not First Person Shooter) occasionally. For that purpose, is this card too much?

5. I'm currently in Bangalore, but will be moving to Chennai. where outside temps touch 40C (humidity 85%). I won't have the machine in an AC environment. Is overclocking advisable given such a climate? What kind of cooling setup should I opt for?

6. PSU and Case: What features should I look for in a PSU and a case for the setup listed above? Do you recommend any brands?

Thanks much for your inputs!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom