[Help] Win XP not Starting.. pci.sys missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
Hello everyone
Could anyone please help me? OK. Let me explain the situation.. I was working on Win XP Home SP2 (original) and WMP was running in the background.. Suddenly, the computer hanged and the song which was being played stopped on one line which kept repeating and repeating and no keyboard activity or muse movement helped... Alt+Ctrl+Del could not do anything.. So I pressed the RESET button..
When, the PC started, Win XP would not load and a message came: "" System32/Drivers/pci.sys file missing or corrupt. Please put your Genuine Win XP CD and press 'r' for Repair on the first screen.""
I inserted the CD and a blue screen announcing Windows Setup came but nothing happened after it.. It would not move forward or show any options.
Finally, I have started my Linux (SuSE 9.1) and am writing this on the forum.. Oh Yes, I also tried copying pci.sy_ from Win XP CD in Linux and copied it to the above folder renaming it to pci.sys (about 34.7 KB) replacing the present pci.sys (about66.7KB) and started the PC again but the same Error msg came.. Please help..

>> Siddhartha

[A]bu

Journeyman
Hey man try restarting your computer in safe mode and then try the system restore. This may help you...???

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
The PC cannot start even in Safe Mode.. I tried all modes listed when we press F8.. which incl. Safe Mode in Command Prompt and Safe Mode in Networking..
BTW< @Vishal Gupta, How do I try a repair installation, when the Windows Setup Blue Screen doesnot show any activity or any options to follow.. Suggest something..
Can I make a boot up disk of Windows on Linux... by downloading contents.. Will that be of any help??? Plz suggest something concrete..
>>Sid

sree_shan

Broken In
@siddhartha....
try to connect one of ur frends hard disk to ur system.... and make it primary.... then boot 4m the OS in that hard disk....
then check whether u can see ur drives or not..... and if so... now try to replace the "System32/Drivers/pci.sys" 4m ur frends hard disk into the OS directory of ur hard disk.... then try to remove ur frends hard disk and then try to reboot 4m ur hard disk....
i hope this will help u... :)
post a reply abt result ....

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
@raysoni_r ... That was the first thing I had done.. Anyways, thanks sree_shan for the suggestion but the prob has solved by itself.. I just cut the file in LINUX and again pasted it @SYSTEM32/DRIVERS/ and well, bingo!1 the PCs. hale and hearty.. Thank u everyone 4 yer help...

sree_shan

Broken In
@siddartha....
thats nice .. that u had just replaced it by going to linux...
i had forgotten that u also installed linux.. :( :( :(
if u dont hav linux .. then u can solve by doing what i posted ....
nyway nice to see that ur problem is solved...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom