Help upgrade laptop RAM

Arkawaitforit

Right off the assembly line
Hello everyone, I recently picked up witcher 3 and it is amazing. Unfortunately my laptop is a little old and I was looking to upgrade my RAM for better graphics.
I have a HP Pavillion 15-p045TX with 8 GB DDR3 800 MHz RAM. I ran CPU-Z (an app for checking hardware) and it showed 8 GB DDR3 single channel having DRAM frequency 798.1 MHz. Under memory slot selection slot #1 was DDR3L with max bandwidth PC3-12800 (800 MHz) having module size 8GB of manufacturer SK Hynix. Slot#2 is blank. The motherboard Bus is PCI-Express 2.0.

Sorry about the wall of text but I wanted to share the details so you don't have to look up the laptop model. Now, what I understand is that I have 2 RAM slots on my motherboard with one of them being occupied. I was previously under the impression that my RAM was having frequency of 1600 MHz. I'm confused about that now. I want to get another 8 GB module to put into the other slot but I'm not sure what to get. The two modules must have same frequency if I'm not mistaken.

I want to get a samsung 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3 PC3L-12800 204 pin SODIMM but will this work ok?

So please dig deep into your mine of knowledge and help this n00b out.

Yes, a DDR3 1600MHz laptop RAM will work with it. But honestly, your GT840M is too weak of a GPU. You might get 10% extra fps, but that's it.

Top Bottom