help to restricte win xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhasbajpai

Asterisk enthusiast
hi
i am havin a setup of 5 winxp with simple lan
now i want to restrict to user account
so that no command parompt, desktop proprties, games and othe frills are not available to them all they can run is word ans exel
please help

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
You have to edit the Registry & make the changes for this to happen. Always take a
backup of your Registry, so if you screw-up things. You have a backup a fall back on!!
I need to search a bit in the Mag. so wait until I post...

bukaida

In the zone
go to administrative tool->computer management and there you can apply them.
It will be better if u install win2k/2k3 server in one of your machines.Then you do not have to individually controll in every machine.All the restrictions can be applied from the server.

shovik

Banned
Yeah definitely I have the same opinion as bukaida, Windows 2000server/2003server will definitely help you to control all the other clients in ur network from the single machine on which you install the server OS.

Try out the concept at:: *www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/winntas/proddocs/mscsadm1.mspx?mfr=true

The best for you is to follow the :: *www.2000trainers.com/article.aspx?articleID=21&page=1
or
The trainer for Windows 2000 server ::
*www.comptechdoc.org/os/windows/win2kgraph/

I am referring you Windows 2000 serverinspite of being a old OS, because its more easy to configure and run than the 2003 server version.

Let me know if my suggestions were useful to you...

Regards,
Shovik.

OP
abhasbajpai

abhasbajpai

Asterisk enthusiast
JGuru said:
You have to edit the Registry & make the changes for this to happen. Always take a
backup of your Registry, so if you screw-up things. You have a backup a fall back on!!
I need to search a bit in the Mag. so wait until I post...
I KNOW THAT but i want to know what to edit in regstry
Windows 2000server/2003server will definitely help you to control all the other clients in ur network from the single machine on which you install the server OS....
I CANT as orgination wont buy server 2K3 as its very costly and also 'coz original XP came preinstalled on machines
go to administrative tool->computer management
where to apply the cahnges i hv tryid to apply changes to both machine and to user either way its effecting to both user and admin i want changes(restrictions) to be applied obnly ot user not to admin

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Simply open gpedit.msc and in Administrative Templates section, u can restrict almost all the things U want. :)

PS: Pls give time to this tool and u'll get all the things u need.

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
Vishal Gupta said:
Simply open gpedit.msc and in Administrative Templates section, u can restrict almost all the things U want. :)

PS: Pls give time to this tool and u'll get all the things u need.

the best what MS offered till date.... its world in itself.. registry method will really complicate things no doubt.. gpedit is truly the simplest and fastest way to restrict or grant special access to any program or utility.. b sure what u want to do and start exploring. If you use it correctly u will end up gifiting uself a lots of goodies

OP
abhasbajpai

abhasbajpai

Asterisk enthusiast
where to apply the cahnges i hv tryid to apply changes to both machine and to user either way its effecting to both user and admin i want changes(restrictions) to be applied only to user not to admin
i just want to know where to apply change computer config or to user config
where ever i apply ether way its effecting both the user and admin i want changes to user only not to admin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom