Help Reqd on Procuring Cell Phone connection in USA !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

raksrules

Youngling
Hi all,
My brother is flying to Jacksonville, Florida, USA this month end. I need to know how to procure a cell phone connection there. I have heard that there are combo schemes like in, for a fix amount you get a handset and connection then some monthly charges.
What if he takes his Nokia 6630 there and takes a SIM card. Would he be able to get only SIM card without any issues ?
What would you suggest, go for the combo offer or taken the current phone and SIM from there.
He is going there for 6 months only.
Please help as i am very confused and have no clue about all this as i have never been there:(
Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Plz koi to jawab do.....

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
First question: On what VISA is he going there? To procure a cellphone connection yourself you need something called as Social Security Number (SSN).

Secondly you can use your handset, but the provider may need to re-program it and lock if the connections has a minimum committment period.

OP
raksrules

raksrules

Youngling
The Visa is J1 (Exchange Program) for only 6 months

I have heard that it is difficult to get ONLY SIM card so we need to go for the contract system (which i have no clue what it is).

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
J1? Oh then he won't haf an SSN. He needs to go there and submit the form issued by his school/hosp. that he's there on a J1 to the Govt. authorities. Then he'd be issued an SSN in a month or so only after which he can apply for a connection.

Its mostly contract based where you sign a contract with the service provider for a minimum period (say 1 year). You get a cheap handset free with the connection. Its not like in India where its very easy to get a SIM card. If you wish to use your own phone then you need to get it programmed for the contract period (essentially locking it).

International roaming on Indian service providers' sim is very costly. Temporarily, what he can do it get an ISIC card (if he's a student) with a phone card or get one of the Matrix sim cards (they are like temporary local sim cards of that place). This arrangement would work till he gets an SSN and can apply for a SIM. Regarding whether to take the contract based sim, it can't be decided sitting here. You need to know what are the various plans. Hence its best to go there, get to know the schemes and buy as you'd be waiting for your SSN anyways before getting a connection.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
It would take about 1-2months to get a connection because of the time to get all the documents in place. The best option is to go for reliance global sim.

Pat

Beyond Smart
or this
*www.v-telmobile.com/

Its a new service..Infact just read about it today on some tech site!

OP
raksrules

raksrules

Youngling
I checked Reliance global sim as well as v tel mobile but the tariffs are very very costly (IMO). Trying the find a cheaper option.

karmanya

Journeyman
As far as I know, in America, cellular providers lock the sim/number to the phone. If he's going for a long time, it shouldn't be too hard to get one. otherwise, try a global thing like matrix or reliance.

OP
raksrules

raksrules

Youngling
Any opinions on Matrix SIM Cards ?

As far as I know, in America, cellular providers lock the sim/number to the phone. If he's going for a long time, it shouldn't be too hard to get one. otherwise, try a global thing like matrix or reliance.

He is going for 6 mnts and hence i feel the 2 year contract thing is not possible. Also i have heard that they take an initial deposit of $500 types so that incase you terminate your connection before that they will deduct the penalty frm the same.

Last edited:

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
In USA there are usually 2 options for taking cell phone service. Service providers are AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.

1) If you take a 1 yr or 2 yr contract, you will get a very nice phone like a blackberry or other tri-band and quad band phones available here like the SE W580i or MotoRazr, etc. For that you will require SSN. You will get some free minutes to all numbers nationwide, plus roaming will also be free. But if you opt out of the contract before the minimum commitment period (1yr or 2yr), there is a penalty of $175. Plans for these usually start from $39.99 for some free minutes to anywhere in the US to $99.99 for unlimited calling in US, Canada and Mexico. Incoming calls are usually free. There will be a background credit check before they will give you the connection.

2) You can opt for a phone with no contracts, like the AT&T go-phone. Here no SSN is required, also no long term commitments, only a credit/debit card from a bank from where they will cut the monthly fee and you will get some free minutes. You can use your own tri-band or quad-band handset there. I myself had the AT&T go-phone and I used my SE W810i with that. There will be also no background credit check. For lower rate plans, incoming calls will be charged at the same rate as outgoing calls. Plans from AT&T starting $39.99 will have some unlimited calling to all AT&T subscribers (they have the largest subscriber base in North America) and incoming calls will most probably be free.

Here you will have to set up the account so that they will charge the debit/credit card at the specified date of every month. Before you want to terminate your connection, just call the customer care guys and they will stop the auto-debit.

Since this is only for 6 months, you can try the 2nd option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom