Help!! PC Restarts Automatically

rahulyo

Journeyman
Hello Friends i need your help ,

Since few days i am facing very strange problem with my system.

Problem :-

It automatically restarts without giving any error msg or BSOD. It restarts not only under load but also at idle state.

For rectifying the issue i take following steps (but still facing the issue) :-

1. RAM check by memtest86+ full night - No errors

2. I thought may be GPU causing problem so removed it and running on-board GPU but after sometime same problem hit again.

3. Checked all power cables, power connector all are good, No loose connection or earthing issues.

4.No overclocking. (Turbo mode is on in bios)

5. No heating issues.

My system config :-

CPU - Intel i5 3570K
Mobo - Asus P8Z77-v pro
RAM - Gskill 12GB ripjaws ( 2gbx2,4gbx2)
GPU - Sapphire HD7950 Vapor X edition ( Currently removed )
PSU - Corsair TX650M
Cooler - Thermaltek Archon

Can anyone help me regarding this Problem please ??

patkim

Cyborg Agent
My office PC would show same behavior and in that case mobo was the culprit. After replacing mobo everything went fine. I suggest you try the following

1. Assuming you are using Windows, try running Live Linux or installing Linux, if it displays same behavior even with Linux chances are that there's a hardware issue.
2. Run the system for testing with minimal configuration just one stick of RAM even remove HDD and run Live Linux for a day or two
3. Refresh/reinstall OS
4. If you can borrow a PSU from friend or nearby computer shop try replacing the PSU
5. Load Fail Safe defaults in BIOS and run the system under test for a day or two
6. Observe the CPU temperature using any third party utility app

Do you have a UPS/Inverter connected to PC?
In a rare case, missing a few cycles at mains supply may be enough for PC to restart, such a fluctuation may not be noticeable to humans.

If the issue persists most likely it's hardware fault. If under warranty RMA mobo for investigation

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
most likely it's either PSU ( my first guess is PSU ) or Motherboard .. probably bad capacitor

how old is your PSU ?

For start Go to bios and check voltages ( not always accurate though ) ..

you have an Asus Mobo , does it have the surge protection on ? if not then enable it in BIOS and do you get the Asus Anti surge message on startup ?

And try to use a different PSU and see if problem persists

Last edited:
OP
R

rahulyo

Journeyman
most likely it's either PSU ( my first guess is PSU ) or Motherboard .. probably bad capacitor

how old is your PSU ?

For start Go to bios and check voltages ( not always accurate though ) ..

you have an Asus Mobo , does it have the surge protection on ? if not then enable it in BIOS and do you get the Asus Anti surge message on startup ?

And try to use a different PSU and see if problem persists

I inspected motherboard , no Bad caps on it.

My PSU near abut 4-5yrs old. voltages seem ok, no drastic change in it.

Dont know about surge protection option in the BIOS , will check it.

I unable to arrange other PSU for testing (all others are el chepo local PSUs) .

OP
R

rahulyo

Journeyman
My office PC would show same behavior and in that case mobo was the culprit. After replacing mobo everything went fine. I suggest you try the following

1. Assuming you are using Windows, try running Live Linux or installing Linux, if it displays same behavior even with Linux chances are that there's a hardware issue.
2. Run the system for testing with minimal configuration just one stick of RAM even remove HDD and run Live Linux for a day or two
3. Refresh/reinstall OS
4. If you can borrow a PSU from friend or nearby computer shop try replacing the PSU
5. Load Fail Safe defaults in BIOS and run the system under test for a day or two
6. Observe the CPU temperature using any third party utility app

Do you have a UPS/Inverter connected to PC?
In a rare case, missing a few cycles at mains supply may be enough for PC to restart, such a fluctuation may not be noticeable to humans.

If the issue persists most likely it's hardware fault. If under warranty RMA mobo for investigation

1. Will install windows 7 on separate HDD tonight n check.

2/3. Will try it.

4. Unable to arrange PSU (All are el chepo loacal one)

5. Already tried but no luck. It work for few days but problem hit again.

6. CPU temp not an issue check with HWMnitor max 75 on full load (Prime 95 stress test).

I have APC back-ups pro br1000g-in , but currently not using it because of error F02. Their is no power issue in my area . Only my pc restarts TV n other electrical stuff working fine.

Most of ( Actually ALL ) parts of my system are out of warranty thats the biggest problem :(

OP
R

rahulyo

Journeyman
Update :-

I install win7 64 bit on HDD (Other HDDs are disconnected.) with my GPU HD 7950 . Install all the drivers n start Prime 95 and furmark stress test. after sometime system restarted .

So i again start both the apps for testing till now no restart .

Strange . Any help ??

OP
R

rahulyo

Journeyman
Update:-

Prime 95 and Furmark run full night , no restart.

So i turn off the system for sometime and start again but arise new problem .

Please check :-

*i.imgur.com/7atxm2jl.jpg

*i.imgur.com/Eqn1A7ml.jpg

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Such graphics corruption error usually means issue with graphics hardware or mobo.Just for testing,try win 8.1 or 10(creator's update) fresh fully updated install.

OP
R

rahulyo

Journeyman
Such graphics corruption error usually means issue with graphics hardware or mobo.Just for testing,try win 8.1 or 10(creator's update) fresh fully updated install.

Actually i m using Windows 10 64 Bit (legal) ver. fully updated, but for testing purpose installed win 7 64 bit on separate HDD.

Can i use G41+E7500 combo for rectifying mobo / PSU problem ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try leaving pc on just displaying bios screen for a night/day/24 hours by disconnecting all hdd & using processor,ram,mobo,gfx card.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
G41+E7500 combo is less power consuming so not much point in testing it.You need to test your mobo(not possible at home) or psu(if you can get a spare psu).

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
caps may also fail without any external visual signs , especially solid caps .. so don't rule out mobo yet ..

also if your PSU caps are going bad , then stress testing your setup with this PSU could be harmful as well , it may send damaging level ripple to your other components and could possibly kill mobo and other components , .. PSU is >5 years old and if it is CWT made with Samxon caps , then it has run it's life most probably

try with this g41 + e7500 setup , at first don't use GPU .. and only light test it for 4-5 days , if no restart then likely it is your mobo which is at fault because you said your previous setup was restarting at idle and without GPU as well ..

Last edited:
Top Bottom