Help needed !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech&ME

Banned
My computer acted up today very strangly.
I have a P4 machine, with 128 Mb RAM, Gigabyte mobo, Seagate HDD, etc. yesterday night I was surfing the net and after I finished , I shutdown the computer normally ( I use Windows XP Home with SP2 ) and went to sleep. The next morning , i.e. today when I went and switch on my computer the computer screen was BLANK, and the GREEN LED on the CABINET was not lit up, only the RED LED was lit up and was not blinking, NO POST was performed on the machine, hence I could not even get into the BIOS..... , I opend the cabinet and observed that the mobo was getting current since the RAM LED was lit up, there was not sign of current on the CD ROM Drive and the DVD/CD-RW Drive and Floopy drive only the harddisk LED (RED) was lit up and that too was not blinking as it should. I don't understand what went worng, Can u experts here please solve my problem. I need disperately to start my computer as I love it too much, presently I am working and writing this thread from a different computer which I don't like to much. Please help me......

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Try removing the RAM and the CMOS battery and put them back again. This has worked for all such problems I have encountered. Best of luck...........
If this does not work, most probably, you will have to go to the mechanic...........

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Hmm, I have seen this problem when the power surges/drops for a really short amount of time, faster than the UPS can handle. The system's power light will go out and the HDD LED alone would light up totally bright, in which case neither the reset nor the power button would work. Usually for me, pulling the plug and then restarting usually fixes the case. But I dont think it has done so for your case. Try unplugging every external device and start the computer up alone, and if possible first try removing the RAM and see if you get the POST error beeps. Also remove/reseat the CMOS battery like khattam said. Check for the RAM error POST error codes first after removing the RAM. If it does, plug it back in and remove the unnecessary PCI cards and unplug even the CD/DVD/floppy drives and try it this time. If it works then you may have a damaged PCI card thats preventing system init and you may need to get that replaced. If all fails, first get your SMPS checked with a known good one.

OP
T

Tech&ME

Banned
enoonmai said:
Try unplugging every external device and start the computer up alone, and if possible first try removing the RAM and see if you get the POST error beeps. Also remove/reseat the CMOS battery like khattam said. Check for the RAM error POST error codes first after removing the RAM. If it does, plug it back in and remove the unnecessary PCI cards and unplug even the CD/DVD/floppy drives and try it this time. If it works then you may have a damaged PCI card thats preventing system init and you may need to get that replaced. If all fails, first get your SMPS checked with a known good one.

enoonmai I took out the RAM and all other devices from the mobo and then re-started the PC, but the same thing occured, no GREEN Light, or any other Light is working, nor I get any BEEPS.

I took out the SMPS and fitted it to a different PC, its working fine there.

What must have gone wrong ? Has the Mobo fried? Which part of the mobo might have been damaged ? Can u guess enoonmai.

And if the mobo has really fried, is repairing it a good option or should i go in for a completely new mobo ? Please tell me all u guys out here, advice me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom