Help needed to Setup a Wireless Network @ Home

banshee

Right off the assembly line
Hi Friends

I want to setup a Wireless network (Wi Fi) @ home to connect 1 Desktop PC, 2 Laptops & 4 Android Smarth Phones to a common internet connection.
Cable Connection : Cable internet 1 Mbps, unlimited Plan
It uses is a Dial up connection to connect to internet
The Cable Net company uses a MAC Address authentication on its Switch, the Authorised MAC now is my Desktop PC's LAN card. No other PC/ Laptop may connect to this internet unless the MAC id binding is Reset by the Cable Net Company.

Its OK to have a Wired connection for the Desktop PC rest devices have to be on WiFi

Questions:
1. Is it possible to setup a Wireless with the above requirement.
2. If Yes, will the Dialup connection still be on the Desktop PC?
3. Will I have to Keep the Desktop PC switched ON to use internet on the other devices?
4. Will I be able to use LAN Sharing - DC++ (working fine on the Desktop PC) on the Laptops?

Rexaion

Right off the assembly line
hi friends

i want to setup a wireless network (wi fi) @ home to connect 1 desktop pc, 2 laptops & 4 android smarth phones to a common internet connection.
Cable connection : Cable internet 1 mbps, unlimited plan
it uses is a dial up connection to connect to internet
the cable net company uses a mac address authentication on its switch, the authorised mac now is my desktop pc's lan card. No other pc/ laptop may connect to this internet unless the mac id binding is reset by the cable net company.

Its ok to have a wired connection for the desktop pc rest devices have to be on wifi

questions:
1. Is it possible to setup a wireless with the above requirement.
it is not necessary that you get the mac changed from the isp, you can clone it yourself at home from the wifi site (mine is 192.168.1.1 for asus).
Step 1:
And yes this is possible hoping that your cable is an ethernet cable which can directly be plugged in the router & then from router to pc
Or else
step 1:
If you have wire then you will also have a modem then plugin the main internet cable in the modem then use an ethernet cable to connect the modem to router (in the internet slot, it will be marked differently with other colour), and then use any one lan port(other ports) to connect to the computers ethernet port via an ethernet cable.
Step 2:
Reset the router manually
step3 :
Configure the router on wifi site
in there go to wan settings>
*wan connection type: Go for pppoe connection(for dial up connection)
*get the wan ip automatically? :yes(dont fill in your ip address, subnet mask and default gateway )
*put your username & password provided by your isp.
*connection type: Continous
*mac address adjacent to that you will find a button"mac clone", by which the pc mac be cloned to mac registered with the isp.
(some settings may be there some may be not please alter according to your needs)
and in wifi settings just setup your network with a password coz anybody can use your network for any use.

2. If yes, will the dialup connection still be on the desktop pc?
no now you dont need to use the dial up connection on desktop
3. Will i have to keep the desktop pc switched on to use internet on the other devices?
no not at all you can access internet even when your pc is off.
4. Will i be able to use lan sharing - dc++ (working fine on the desktop pc) on the laptops?
yes you can use lan-dc sharing on laptop but i am skeptical about the download speed that you will get . Hope i have helped you enough.
contact me if you have any other query related to this or just contact your isp or customer care of router.
Btw do you possibly use 5 net ?
Please check this out too for more info: *popeyehub.blogspot.in/p/wi-fi-users-only.html:razz::mrgreen:

answers in bold.

Top Bottom