Status
Not open for further replies.

cynosure

UbuntuUser
Hi guys,
I am using two distros.
1) Zenwalk
2) Vector.

Both of the distros use LILO as the default boot loader. But when I install any one of them over the other one, LILO boot menu does not appear.

I am using different '/' partitions but same /home partitions and of course same /swap partition.

I tried installing Vector over Zen, Zen over Vector. In both the cases, the latter distro is not booted, i.e. LILO menu does not appear.

I then tried installing Zen w/o installing LILO and then I installed vector over it + LILO. In this case, LILO cannot detect Zen.

I ran /sbin/lilo and I get
Linux
Linux GUI
Linux CUI
Linux hda2
if I use the first two methods of installation, but with the third method, the last option does not appear.

Any guesses whats wrong???

Or should I uninstall LILO and install GRUB?

Come on guys, 16 views and no replies. Where the hell is the Digit spirit of youll??

OK tell me how to uninstall LILO and install GRUB. This should be simple!!

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
I am no expert in LILO.but as what i can understand,u got vector's LILO installed.
You need to edit /etc/lilo.conf(not sure) and add the other distro's(Zenwalk?) entry.
One thing to remember is u must be correct in showing the root "/" of each distro.already u got the entries for Vector both CUI(command ui) and GUI.
Now go to Zenwalk's /etc/lilo.conf or Zenwalk's /boot/ directory to know the name of kernel and (ifany) initrd.then add the entries to vector linux LILO and save.
Ur entry Linux hda2 seems to be of Zenwalk.
A good guide is :
*home.att.net/~lilo-boot/lilohome.htm
*www.control-escape.com/linux/lilo-cfg.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom