Help! Modelines for XF86Config in Linux needed! :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friends,

I've got a 82865GBF original intel motherboard with 865G graphics onboard with a LG Studioworks 563N monitor. My monitor supports following display modes

640x480 @ 60, 70, 75 ,85 Hz
800x600 @ 60 ,70, 75, 85 Hz
1024x768@ 60, 70 , 75 Hz

After installing the Red Hat Linux 9 with the latest drivers from intel in place, i have managed to get both sound and graphics in linux. But the diplay driver (i810) seems to have some problem.
It uses a refresh rate of 90 hz! in 640x480 mode. in 800x600 and 1024x768 it seems fine. As most of the 3D games run good at 640x480 only, i am unable to play them properly. Can anyone please give me a copy of XF86Config with all the modelines possible on my monitor.

My second problem is that quake 3 arena (release 1.32) is running perfectly on linux but the x and y axis of mouse are not working ie. i cannot use freelook. although left and right buttons are fine. what should i do?

Sumit :(

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
open the file in any text editor go to the section monitor edit the line to

VertRefresh 50-65

thats all
Sorry i dont play games so no ans to the last query

Hey Dude,

I tried what you said. An d to tell you the truth, I am experimenting with these values for a long time. After setting these values, all i could get is a refresh rate of 60 hz in every resolution. It made my screen very flickery specially while reading black text on white background. what i want is a refresh rate of at least 75 hz or more preferably 85 hz.

Any hope i can have?

See Ya!

oldmonk

Broken In
start 'xvidtune' . as root on the command line. im not sure but i think this will let you experiment with the settings, and when youre happy, click on the show button to print out the modeline.
on the console..

you can switch resolutions using control-alt- '-' and '+'

again im not too sure about this so read the manpage.

Hey oldmonk,
thanks. i know about xvidtune, when i started it , it says "video modes are not configurable on this video card.". i am trying all my efforts through root account only. Although by specifying VertRefresh 50-75, i have managed to get a vertical refresh rate of 75 hertz but the horizontal refresh rate is still not right. Due to this the picture in 640x480 mode is not aligned to the top left corner. it starts from the center of screen.

For help of you guys, here are the standard monitor timings given in my monitor manual :-

SNO ModeName Resolution Hoiz. Freq.(kHz) Vert. Freq. (Hz)
1. VESA 640x480 31.47 60
2. VESA 720x400 31.47 70
3. VESA 640x480 37.50 75
4. VESA 640x480 43.27 85
5. VESA 800x600 46.88 75
6. VESA 800x600 53.67 85
7. VESA 1024x768 60.02 75

according to these timings, all the mode appear fine on my windows installations. But linux takes some inbetween values and causes problems. I have figured out that giving exact modlines is the only solution to the problem. But i can't do it as my maths is not so good :). There is a how-to available on it at linux-docs.org website.

Anybody?

Sumit

oldmonk

Broken In
try editing the xf86 config and removing the

VertRefresh 50-65
and putting
VertRefresh 85
and horizontal refresh as
(depending on which resolution you want)
this is a shot in the dark.

or go here to calculate your modeline :lol:

*www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/faq/vga2rgb/calc.html
*www.zaph.com/Modeline/

About quake iii
What device is your mouse using.
are you running gpm?*www.zaph.com/Modeline/

Hey oldmonk,

thanks dude, your address to the modeline generator at www.hut.fi really rocks for me!
although i didn't got perfect result, i have found a manageble mode, ie 640x480@69 MHz. it fits on screen nearly perfectly.

As for my quake 3 problem, yes gpm runs as a daemon at startup on my pc. i tried killing it by gpm -k, but then the mouse cursor of quake 3 disappeared (at least it was visible previously, though not working!) .

My mouse is using /dev/mouse device which is really a symlink to psaux device.
In XF86Config, mouse protocol is set to Auto, although PS/2 and IMPS2 works(but not in quake 3).

and ya, unreal tournament 03, tuxracer, sin and others are running fine.
also i would like to tell, that mine is a intel p4 2400 mhz with hyperthreading and linux is running in smp(symmetric multi-processing) mode. but this problem is in single processor mode too.

r_smp is enabled in quake 3 (disabling it doesnt do any help).

i had also tried running quake 3 from a konsole window, it shows no errors in Input Initialisation section.

also noticeble is that mouse buttons are working fine. only x, y and z(wheel) axis of mouse are not working.

any suggestions?

:-(

oldmonk

Broken In
there is some update/patch available for qIII that fixes the mouse problem.
try to locate and patch your QIII.

Hey oldmonk,

The latest point release for quake 3 v1.32 is already installed on my system. No other patches are available on sites like planetquake.com, planetquake3.net, idsoftwares.com etc.
it worked fine on my previous Intel 815 chipset motherboard. Its only creating problem on this new board (intel 82865gbf original).

All other games are working fine?

Can i say i am helpless now ?
:-(

oldmonk

Broken In
*www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/33/2003/12/4/126252*www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/33/2003/12/4/126252

_maybe_ this will help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom