Monitor : Proview colour 14" (very old) ------- Rs 2500.00

Keyboard / Mice : Logitech /Frontech (old)---- Rs 500.00

CD -RW Drive : Lite-on (very old) ------------- Rs 800.00

Harddisk : Seagate 40 GB (NEW) -------------- Rs 2000.00
--------------
Rs 10450.00
---------------
Features I liked :
* This system works very well for basic funtions.

* U can install Windows XP on it.

* U can listen to music with the onboard sound.

Things I Disliked :

* Very low on graphics , you cannot play games on it except the one which comes with windows.

* Installation of Chipset Utility and other drivers are not very user friendly.

* Installation of compnents on the board itself is not very easy, since all the connectors pins are placed very badly. (Not recommended for a newbie)

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Tech&ME said:
Got it ya!

I finally assembled a sub 10K system!

Here are the configuration.

Processor : Via C3 samuel 2 (onboard)

Motherboard : Mercury PVCLE266M-L --------- Rs 3200.00

Ram : 128MB DDR ---------------------------------- Rs 650.00

SMPS : 300 watts -------------------------------- Rs 500.00

Cabinet : Old ATX ------------------------------- Rs 300.00

--------------
Rs 10450.00
---------------
Features I liked :

Things I Disliked :

* Very low on graphics , you cannot play games on it except the one which comes with windows.

* Installation of compnents on the board itself is not very easy, since all the connectors pins are placed very badly. (Not recommended for a newbie)

See you have used mostly used components. What I cannot understand then is why you could not have bought a much faster used second hand one for the same price which could have allowed you to rum many more applications and faster. Was it bacause you wanted to prove you could do it below 10K?

Then you talk about using XP with it. May be you can install it, but how well it will run? And adding the cost of XP how much will be the total?

Ultimately what did you gain? Was it not a futile exercise?
And correct me if I am wrong.

V.Prem Kmar

OP
T

Tech&ME

Banned
janitha said:
Tech&ME said:
Got it ya!

I finally assembled a sub 10K system!

Here are the configuration.

Processor : Via C3 samuel 2 (onboard)

Motherboard : Mercury PVCLE266M-L --------- Rs 3200.00

Ram : 128MB DDR ---------------------------------- Rs 650.00

SMPS : 300 watts -------------------------------- Rs 500.00

Cabinet : Old ATX ------------------------------- Rs 300.00

--------------
Rs 10450.00
---------------
Features I liked :

Things I Disliked :

See you have used mostly used components. What I cannot understand then is why you could not have bought a much faster used second hand one for the same price which could have allowed you to rum many more applications and faster. Was it bacause you wanted to prove you could do it below 10K?

Then you talk about using XP with it. May be you can install it, but how well it will run? And adding the cost of XP how much will be the total?

Ultimately what did you gain? Was it not a futile exercise?
And correct me if I am wrong.

V.Prem Kmar

Ya i understand what you mean to say. But I could not convience my stupid friend because he knows nothing about computers and he feels all systems are as good as P4 's. He is a mess!

But I didn't had any choice but to assemble him this system since, his family wanted me to get him any system around 10k. And that was the reason I did it for him.

Now, talking about running Windows XP is well very good on this system, since the C3 processor comes overclocked to 2000+ and the performance is as good as PIII. The only downside is you cannot run Photoshop CS on it and other memory intensive programs. Otherwise , its good for the basic users.

Remember the object of this system was to fulfill he's word processing and internet usage needs only. (as I had mentioned it early in my first thread itself) so, nevertheless its a good rig for people looking at just owning a PC at home for the most basic task.

If you don't want to spend more money on Windows XP you can still use this system with Linux OS (Suse Linux 10) + OpenOffice.org 2.0 etc.

Or if you already have a legal version of Windows 98 SE will still do fine for the basic task with this system.

Please Note : I have tried hard to use the main components as NEW components in this system. Processor, motherboard, ram, harddisk, SMPS are all NEW.

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
Hey can u plz suggest a gud motherboard and a processor for 5.5K
I guess AMD might be available in tht budget.
and also plz suggest processor other thn sempron.
also a motherboard which has atleast 64MB onboard video memory.

Just one more query:
Does any version of intel 865 have 64MB onboard memory?if yes which model and which company?

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Tech&ME

" Now, talking about running Windows XP is well very good on this system, since the C3 processor comes overclocked to 2000+ and the performance is as good as PIII. The only downside is you cannot run Photoshop CS on it and other memory intensive programs. Otherwise , its good for the basic users. "

While talking about running XP, what exactly I meant was the 128MB Ram limitation. But still I wonder how the XP, office applications, browser etc. run smoothly with 128MB!

V.Prem Kumar

OP
T

Tech&ME

Banned
janitha said:
Tech&ME

" Now, talking about running Windows XP is well very good on this system, since the C3 processor comes overclocked to 2000+ and the performance is as good as PIII. The only downside is you cannot run Photoshop CS on it and other memory intensive programs. Otherwise , its good for the basic users. "

While talking about running XP, what exactly I meant was the 128MB Ram limitation. But still I wonder how the XP, office applications, browser etc. run smoothly with 128MB!

V.Prem Kumar

I don't understand what you are talking about ?

Haven't you seen any system running Windows XP with 128 MB RAM ?

All branded systems, for example HCL Beanstalk comes preloaded with Windows XP , which is basically a Pentium 4 , 128 MB Ram machine, and people install Office programs on it and they run it sucessfully with out any problems. So, whats the difference between this system and the beanstalk ?

Or you think Windows XP is something that needs say 512 or 1 GB of RAM to run with Office 2003 ?

Geeks don't need highend systems to run Windows XP and Office programs and you do need something like that :wink:

I don't understand what people really thing about Pentium 4 and 1 GB of RAM ? This is where people make mistakes.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Tech&ME said:
janitha said:
Tech&ME

V.Prem Kumar

I don't understand what you are talking about ?

Haven't you seen any system running Windows XP with 128 MB RAM ?

All branded systems, for example HCL Beanstalk comes preloaded with Windows XP , which is basically a Pentium 4 , 128 MB Ram machine, and people install Office programs on it and they run it sucessfully with out any problems. So, whats the difference between this system and the beanstalk ?

Or you think Windows XP is something that needs say 512 or 1 GB of RAM to run with Office 2003 ?

Geeks don't need highend systems to run Windows XP and Office programs and you do need something like that :wink:

I don't understand what people really thing about Pentium 4 and 1 GB of RAM ? This is where people make mistakes.

To be frank, I did not know. Until three months back (for about 3-4 years), I was having A1600+ with 256MB and Win98 SE with MS Office and other common applications and the memory was almost always fully used up. So when I upgraded recently, seeing the suggestions in forums, I went for XP and 2 X 512 MB to be on the safer side.
Anyway thank you for the information.

V.Prem Kumar

abhishek_sharma

Journeyman
spking on the ram issue....i feel 128 mb ram to run win xp is ok...but just ok, coz once u start running multimedia apps etc, they'll run, but so slow tht u wud wish to have more ram.
i used tor run win xp on 128 mb ram [on a p3, 1ghz] for around 3 yrs, before i upgraded to 256 mb ram.

ECE0105

In the zone
Remind me to read before I post.......

Try the following if you are interested:

AMD Sempron 2400+ 2450

Krypton ViA 400M 2100

RAM : 256MB --------------- 1100

Cabinet ------------------------ 700

Mouse (2 button Logitech mouse)-- 50

Keyboard ------------------------- 250

80GB 5400rpm -------------- 1750

Monitor (2nd hand or Microtek) -- 2200

---------------------------------------------------

Total 10,600

Maybe you can bargain hard and get it at a cheaper rate....

Sorry, buddy....
I did not check out page 2 before posting this. Anyways, let me know what you guys think about this config. All the prices are true to my knowledge. I did not include an Optical drive due to obvious reasons. You can always borrow one from your friend.......

Regarding the debate about using Win Xp on a 128MB DDR RAM comp...

Microsoft claims that the Min Requirement for Win XP is 64MB of RAM...

I have myself installed and used Windows XP on a computer with P-III 600MHz processor and a meagre 64MB SD-RAM...

Just disable the unnecessary services and the RAM is enough......

You can go a step further and make a custom installation of Windows XP with many services disabled....

If all you use a computer is for Browsing the Internet and using Office suites. Such computers are more than enough......

khansdream

Journeyman
Buy a Cyrix 1GHz from Mercury with 40GB, 128MB, 15", et al. for 9999 only with one year warranty or you can go for a PCS. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom