Help choosing between Nexus 5 and Moto X (2014)

Anish

Spectre
Hello,

Its been a long time :)

I am new to smartphones (though using moto g v2 since 3 months). I settled on the above two phones (n5 and moto x), but facing difficulties choosing betweent them. I am half biased towards both.
[biased to moto x since i really like the moto g2 (except for its graphic performance) and they say some cool stuff about moto x]
[biased to N5 since its a Nexus and has a LCD display, and thinking is moto x really worth the extra 7k]

Kindly help me choose between the them.

If the questionnaire is appropriate to put, here it is:

1. Budget?
25k to 32k
2. Display type and size?
Not a concern
3. Dual sim?
Dual would be nice. But then good brands like moto and lg have only single sim. Its ok I ll get a basic set for another sim
4. Preferred choice of brand?
LG, Motorola
5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)?
Better picture clarity would do.
6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc).
Android
7. Preferred connectivity options (3G, 4G ready).
4G ready.
8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)?
Gaming, internet
9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
Nexus 5, Moto x
10. Any other info that you want to share
1)I am changing my phone within 3 months from buying. Don't want that to happen to my next purchase.
2)Please tolerate with my language.

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
Hello,

Its been a long time :)

I am new to smartphones (though using moto g v2 since 3 months). I settled on the above two phones (n5 and moto x), but facing difficulties choosing betweent them. I am half biased towards both.
[biased to moto x since i really like the moto g2 (except for its graphic performance) and they say some cool stuff about moto x]
[biased to N5 since its a Nexus and has a LCD display, and thinking is moto x really worth the extra 7k]

Kindly help me choose between the them.

If the questionnaire is appropriate to put, here it is:

1. Budget?
25k to 32k
2. Display type and size?
Not a concern
3. Dual sim?
Dual would be nice. But then good brands like moto and lg have only single sim. Its ok I ll get a basic set for another sim
4. Preferred choice of brand?
LG, Motorola
5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)?
Better picture clarity would do.
6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc).
Android
7. Preferred connectivity options (3G, 4G ready).
4G ready.
8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)?
Gaming, internet
9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
Nexus 5, Moto x
10. Any other info that you want to share
1)I am changing my phone within 3 months from buying. Don't want that to happen to my next purchase.
2)Please tolerate with my language.

Moto X is best option.
Recent 5.0.1 with volta has enough battery life.
With data off and only on calls calculator general use;it surpasses 1.5 day mark.

Next best option will be G3.

For dual sim I suggest Lenovo Vibe Z2 Pro.
Except for the camera everything is beautiful.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Warning: Few months ago, I did a lot of research between 2013's Moto X and N5 and choose Moto X in the end. So this post might be bit biased towards Moto X but I will try to be as objective as humanly possible.

Unique features of Moto X:
In Moto X, the feature Touchless control is good to have, but Active Display is a thing which really makes you think that it should be the standard on All phones. I will explain the reason now. In today's Android phones there are only three hardware buttons: Power, Volume Up and Volume Down. And you use only Power button to unlock the phone. Hence with Active display you never need to use the hardware buttons in order to unlock the phone. Just take it out of your pocket and swipe to unlock. This is the biggest advantage of Active Display. (Of course there are other uses of Active Display but I won't get into that here). This single feature have spoiled me so much that I feel I am using a century old technology when using other phones.

Software Updates:
In terms of updates both N5 and Moto X will be upgraded to Lollipop. While Android M and N (whatever be the next two version), Moto X 2014 will surely get it. N5 is 2013's phone so I can only be sure about N5 getting one more update after Lollipop.

Display Tech (the deal maker or breaker):
Apart from the above the only big thing between N5 and Moto X is the display. AMOLED display provides a rich dark picture. This effectively means that movies (with lots of dark shades like Horror genre) would look absolutely gorgeous. While AMOLED displays have a tendency to burn in if the pixels are constantly turned on for a long time, say multiple hours). But there are precautions for that, such as not to keep the phone's display ON while charging etc (I can detail that later if required). AMOLED display is the reason why Active display really shines in Moto X. This burn in issue is not there in N5 cause it's LCD, but of course pictures won't look good in it. Hence AMOLED display can really be both: the Boon or Bane for Moto X depending on how you use it. So this difference is something you have to decide keeping in mind how you want to use your phone.

Also, N5 should really be compared to older Moto X. And if N5 is kept in front of the New Moto X, it beats N5 in terms of hardware quality (just look at some videos which have done bend test for Moto X).

In the end, your safest bet is Nexus 5. But the most radical, bold, maybe risky but also the next gen choice would be the new Moto X keeping in mind the advantages of AMOLED display and the risks that lies with it.

OP
Anish

Anish

Spectre
[MENTION=511]kunal[/MENTION] : Thankyou for your input. [MENTION=77264]Vyom[/MENTION] : Thanks for your lengthy explanation. I too thought nexus 5 to be a bit outdated with the new n6 being launched. If n5 and new moto x would have been launched at same time, I would have gone with n5. As of now, as you told, the AMOLED screen burn-in is the only thing that is bothering me about the new moto x! Build wise, I feel moto has a more solid build than n5
but of course pictures won't look good in it. Hence AMOLED display can really be both: the Boon or Bane for Moto X depending on how you use it.
What do you mean by "depending on how you use it?"
My uses are : games (mostly in evening) and internet.
Will that affect the phone sooner?

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Why aren't you considering the one plus in this? It has really good hardware and cyanogenmod gets just slight later than stock Android

Why aren't you considering the one plus in this? It has really good hardware and cyanogenmod gets just slight later than stock Android

Why buy oneplus one, when you can buy a better one ??

OP, I'll suggest that you don't consider Nexus 5, instead check these:
Sony Xperia Z2 vs Moto X (2nd Gen) vs HTC One E8: Compare Mobiles: Flipkart.com

HTC One E8 is available for around 32k. Except for camera, everything else is good (camera is better than Nexus 5 though)
Xperia Z2 is the best for you

$hadow

Geek in making
Basically Moto X 2014 is a new version of nexus 5. But in case you are looking to spent about 32 k I would suggest add 2k more and get 32gb variant of G3

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
This burn in issue is not there in N5 cause it's LCD, but of course pictures won't look good in it.

I liked your comparison but I must beg to differ when you say pictures wont look good in N5's LCD
its purely preference and amoled shows richer blacks but LCD shows richer whites
Amoled has burn-in issues and better battery life(battery life of N5 is better in this case however)
LCD may not be saturated but the N5's decent resolution and screen size ensures good clarity and natural colours
amoled displays are a bit too saturated(bit off topic-samsungs are oversaturated though)
so its purely preference imho

- - - Updated - - -

Basically Moto X 2014 is a new version of nexus 5. But in case you are looking to spent about 32 k I would suggest add 2k more and get 32gb variant of G3

quite agree G2 was a Nexus 5 inspired phone (like nexus 4 and G2),G3 is really worth the money once you get past the slightly larger size

- - - Updated - - -

[MENTION=511]kunal[/MENTION] : Thankyou for your input. [MENTION=77264]Vyom[/MENTION] : Thanks for your lengthy explanation. I too thought nexus 5 to be a bit outdated with the new n6 being launched. If n5 and new moto x would have been launched at same time, I would have gone with n5. As of now, as you told, the AMOLED screen burn-in is the only thing that is bothering me about the new moto x! Build wise, I feel moto has a more solid build than n5

What do you mean by "depending on how you use it?"
My uses are : games (mostly in evening) and internet.
Will that affect the phone sooner?

personally im no fan of the Nexus 6,I bought my Nexus 5 for 22k and I love the design and performance
it does have its own issues such as slow focusing of camera at times but its a great phone for the price and the vfm factor is very high
I actually prefer the Nexus 5 design and build etc to the Nexus 6
Nexus 6 pricing is also rather high and most android purists still prefer nexus 5,One Plus One and Moto X over the Nexus 6

- - - Updated - - -

Why buy oneplus one, when you can buy a better one ??

OP, I'll suggest that you don't consider Nexus 5, instead check these:
Sony Xperia Z2 vs Moto X (2nd Gen) vs HTC One E8: Compare Mobiles: Flipkart.com

HTC One E8 is available for around 32k. Except for camera, everything else is good (camera is better than Nexus 5 though)
Xperia Z2 is the best for you

actually Nexus 5 has better build and camera(except for focusing speeds,minor issue),megapixels dont mean everything
xperia z2 has self cracking screen and overheating issue

Moto X loses out in the camera department but its still one of the worthier phones in this lot along with the N5
One Plus One is extremely vfm and should be included in op's options imho
^^tried and tested all phones personally before

OP
Anish

Anish

Spectre
Guys, thanks all for your inputs. I finally purchased moto x 2nd gen for 33k and its pretty good. No complains as of now ...

Once again thanks all

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Guys, thanks all for your inputs. I finally purchased moto x 2nd gen for 33k and its pretty good. No complains as of now ...

Once again thanks all

Congrats. Added your name here: *www.digit.in/forum/mobiles-tablets/187796-moto-x-1st-2nd-gen-discussion.html

Do post your review. :D

Top Bottom