Heating and Power Limit Throttling on Alienware 15 R3

sidster

Broken In
Hey Guys,
I really need some help

I have a Alienware 15 R3 (2017) with an i7 7700HQ and a GTX 1070

For the past month or 2 I've been facing some problems with it.

I had previously undervolted it using Intel XTU, but even then I was having heating problems.
In the winter months, it wasn't as bad due to lower ambient temperatures but now in the summer it does tend to heat up more.

I bought an axial cooler, as well as a vacuum cooler to help with it, and while that helped, I realized that there are other problems which might not be related to heating.

Whenever I plug my laptop in for charging, it heats up more than normal (reaching up to 93° C) and while playing games I face a lot of freezing and stuttering issues.
As soon as I unplug it, the problems are solved.

While charging, XTU also indicates "Power Limit Throttling", which it doesn't as soon as I unplug it.

Does anyone have any idea as to what might be the issue?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Just repaste CPU and GPU. Go for Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut or if you have the balls then go for Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Hey Guys,
I really need some help

I have a Alienware 15 R3 (2017) with an i7 7700HQ and a GTX 1070

For the past month or 2 I've been facing some problems with it.

I had previously undervolted it using Intel XTU, but even then I was having heating problems.
In the winter months, it wasn't as bad due to lower ambient temperatures but now in the summer it does tend to heat up more.

I bought an axial cooler, as well as a vacuum cooler to help with it, and while that helped, I realized that there are other problems which might not be related to heating.

Whenever I plug my laptop in for charging, it heats up more than normal (reaching up to 93° C) and while playing games I face a lot of freezing and stuttering issues.
As soon as I unplug it, the problems are solved.

While charging, XTU also indicates "Power Limit Throttling", which it doesn't as soon as I unplug it.

Does anyone have any idea as to what might be the issue?

Hi, kinda unrelated but do you know how to get proper drivers for Alienware 17 R3 with 965M. Apparently it only installs drivers signed by Alienware itself. Have been trying for a few days but unable to install official drivers from nvidia. Asked Alienware customer support, and they are saying to upgrade the system lol.

Top Bottom