Have I killed my motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beingGamer

In the zone
Since I built my pc in Jan last year, I cleaned it many times but never reapplied the thermal paste on CPU.
While playing GTA V since few days, my CPU temps were reaching 100C and staying between 98-100C So I decided to apply thermal paste.
My mobo has a nasty screw on bottom right, which is stuck with the holder that we place between mobo & the case.
I removed the mobo from case, but the screw and the holder stayed together, so I tried to remove using a plier and screw driver.
While doing so, I scratched one of the lanes on the backside of the mobo. I didnt realize it until the pc refused to start.
The position of scratch is behind the front panel pins(where we plug the power, reset, hdd led etc)
I feel I have damaged one of the power up lines. Any easy solution? or do I have to send it to service center? pics - Motherboard damage 2015-10-15 - Album on Imgur

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
Seeing the second pic, yes, you've damaged the PCB circuitry.
The line (metallic connection) is broken.
Sort these two points with a wire, it should start.
Contact the ASS for the brand if you're afraid of ruining things further.

OP
beingGamer

beingGamer

In the zone
Seeing the second pic, yes, you've damaged the PCB circuitry.
The line (metallic connection) is broken.
Sort these two points with a wire, it should start.
Contact the ASS for the brand if you're afraid of ruining things further.
Yes I'm planning to do the same.
I had a close look few minutes back. There are total 3 scratches, out of which 1(bottom most) has crossed over the lane. Other 2 are safe.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
figure out which two points is that line connecting, then sort those two with a wire (just hold the wire end at the point, do not solder anything now)
be sure to not sort any other points in the process.
If possible, use a both side male jumper wire of sufficient length for it.

- - - Updated - - -

or. if the line ends onto any male jumper headers, you may also try using a female jumper to sort.

OP
beingGamer

beingGamer

In the zone
figure out which two points is that line connecting, then sort those two with a wire (just hold the wire end at the point, do not solder anything now)
be sure to not sort any other points in the process.
If possible, use a both side male jumper wire of sufficient length for it.

- - - Updated - - -

or. if the line ends onto any male jumper headers, you may also try using a female jumper to sort.
One end of that lane goes into asata 3 plug & other end goes to a very small IC

OP
beingGamer

beingGamer

In the zone
So I gave my M/b to a local service center. He couldn't make it work.
Bought a new m/b for now an updated version of my existing m/b - Gigabyte B85M-D3H-A
Also applied fresh thermal paste while placing CPU.
Below are the temps with new m/b & thermal paste applied.
Before this, CPU temp was constantly staying between 98C-100C as mentioned in first post.

2015-10-22 GTA V in game screenshot after thermal paste - Album on Imgur

DK_WD

WD Official
Hi [MENTION=265475]beingGamer[/MENTION],

I'd like to check with you, do you have any kind of temperature monitoring program installed? If yes, then would you mind sharing with us the temperature of the components that you can monitor? Just a suggestion, if temperature is more than 60c, so I'd suggest you for better performance and for the life of your system, you just add a good casing for PC and combine with a liquid cooling system on it.

Good luck.

OP
beingGamer

beingGamer

In the zone
[MENTION=293224]DK_WD[/MENTION] thanks for the advice.
The temperature issue was because i didnt apply thermal paste on cpu since 1 year or so, even after cleaning the heatsink & placing it back.
Its stable now. CPU stays under 60C while gaming.
Will think on water cooling later, i am not interested in overclocking though

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Don't you think you should ask a genuine question with proper information??

Don't you see the discussion on this thread was very good?

And thumbs up for getting he whole mobo for free! :D
Nice one beingGamer. Hoping you play good games from now... mostly Rocket league. :p

Closing this thread, for it have served its purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom