Hauppauge TV Stick Problem with media center

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
Hi....m using this usb tv stick which came free with hp registration on purchase pavilion notebook.....

in notebook (amd64*2, 1gb ddr, nvidia g6150, vista), aftr complete installation....in media center aftr dectecting all channels....they come very glitchy...(normally we have wen poor cable reception is thr)....i tried winTV2000 (provided in it)...ts the same thr....i luked for in google....some say tsa encoder issue n hv 2 use proper encoders...i also tried winDVD but same...cable is absolutely fine...

2ndly i tried it in my desktop (win xp sp2, 256mb * 2 DDR2, ATi radeon 9200, p4 1.8ghz)....thrs no issue...it wont detect any channel....:)

any help possible?
thanx

Enjoy~!

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ Actually im also expecting the same tuner for my laptop. I have read many reviews of that tuner and im sorry to day that the tuner is absolutely aweful . there is nothing you can do .. even digital channels are worse according to review. iMav too has the same tuner and he also said the reception was not good.

if you really want to have a tuner card then go for another one and sell this one off.

OP
speedyguy

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
hi charan i dun rem exactly but ru frm bangalore? i had met u in dat case then...

newez dat wasnt really a good option abt selling...ts not easy for me 2 replace....but i guess thr shud b some encoders/decoders 2 mk it work properly or some issue wit me coz if ts this bad in real y wud hp send it 2 ppl....infact y shud it be manufactured....d clarity i get is nowhr close 2 being normal

Enjoy~!

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ Yes we had met the other day :) .

Yes the tuner is very bad, I read a lot of review about it then finally gave up on it.. decided to buy a new tuner instead of waiting for the free one. I really dont know why HP gave this tuner in the offer.

OP
speedyguy

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
well i suggest u wait fr it til it arrives....took 2 months for me....c if ts manageable....i cant sell it...need 2 find a buyer for dat.....n ill still try 2 find a soln for it....all da best....n hope 2 c u again :)

Enjoy~!

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ I already have bought Winfast PalmTop Tuner for the laptop. I will use the Hauppauge one for my PC..

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
hi charan i dun rem exactly but ru frm bangalore? i had met u in dat case then...
Yeah, he's the same guy. His name is charang! :p :))

Regarding the tuner, there is nothing you can do about it. Few of my friends just threw it away! Its bad.. no wonder its given free with the laptop!!!!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Hehe.. yeah.. you are paying rs.600 for a useless stick of crap!! :D better cancel it! You can buy a better tv tuner for rs.800 odd for your desktop. Don't waste your money on it!

shashank_re

In the zone
Yeah even iam using the same tuner which i got with my Compaq lappy.The picture quality his mind bloggingly Horrible! I thought it was my cable fault and checked the cable hundreads of times!

So any help regarding this?Cant we improve the picture quality?

OP
speedyguy

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
well shashank....ts realy hard 2 say....coz m also confused nw...i heard tsa decoder issue but guys here r rite....iv tried all encoders/decoders though ts not required with vista n media center.....so shud b quality nag wit d stick itself.....really bad frm hp being a reputed brand giving such cheap gift 2 thier customers.... lemme know if u find any luck

@infra_red_dude: iv forgotten ur real identity.....coz dunt know u by digit id.....

Enjoy~!
ArYaN

OP
speedyguy

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
indeed ts crappy...like it doesnt deserve 2 exist...if wat i get is the best i can...m shocked....is this hauppage.....worse....is this wat hp r sending 2 thier customers....still i wl giv yet anothr try.....if by chance any tweak or somthing helps will post it here...thanx

Enjoy~!

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Actually guys its also a digital receiver. that means if you get digital broadcasts from DD then you can watch it without investing in a STB. and the reception in Digital format is said to be good enough in this tuner.

OP
speedyguy

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
so m useless wit cable....but i still wont give up on it....will keep hitting my trials.....m not loosing....i will surely make this work....whichever way.....

....ehhh!!!
ok i give up...throwing off this piece of sh#t.....

Enjoy~!

OP
speedyguy

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
k anirudh...may b tats y i got confused....but neva mind we 'll both make it next time....twill b nice meeting u...

ps: dear bangalorians...plz help me out wit a piece of advice for me...m in need of dat...thank u guys...follow this thread
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78638

Enjoy~!

gopz

In the zone
Actually guys its also a digital receiver. that means if you get digital broadcasts from DD then you can watch it without investing in a STB. and the reception in Digital format is said to be good enough in this tuner.

Can someone please elaborate on this? Does it mean we can use it with just a dish-antenna like TATA Sky minus the STB?

Thats awesome!

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Can someone please elaborate on this? Does it mean we can use it with just a dish-antenna like TATA Sky minus the STB?

Thats awesome!

We still have regular analog channels been beamed from transmission towers, usually there are 2-3 channels like DD1 , DD Metro , DD News etc etc,
In future this will be replaced into digital transmission. All you will have to get is a STB which can decode the digital signals.
Digital Terrestrial Television (DTTV or DTT) is an implementation of digital technology to provide a greater number of channels and/or better quality of picture and sound using aerial broadcasts to a conventional antenna (or aerial) instead of a satellite dish or cable connection. The technology used is ATSC in North America, ISDB-T in Japan, DVB-T in Europe and Australia, and DMB-T/H in China (including Hong Kong); the rest of the world remaining mostly undecided. ISDB-T is very similar to DVB-T and can share front-end receiver and demodulator components.

Check more about this
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_Standards
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_terrestrial_television

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom