Happy 19th Anniversary Digit

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yup, it's been 19 years since the first issue of Digit in June 2001. I remember receiving it way back when I was in class 6th, the cover was about cyber security. The playware disc had Age of Empires 2: Conqueror's expansion demo, Homeworld Cataclysm demo, etc. Also, there were music by Pentagram and Nicodemus which I used to binge on back in the day.

How far have we come now.

So, here's me wishing everyone at Digit all the best for 2020, and hope you guys endure given current circumstances (COVID-19).

Share your experiences with Digit and how you first found out about India's foremost technology navigator.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I was probably in school maybe around 2004. I was absolutely broke at the time, and only had some change to spare. Definitely not digit magazine.

But I loved reading and sometimes use to go to second hand book market at Nai Sarak, Delhi. Use to get lots of good books at dirt cheap prices.

Found a digit magazine probably of 2002/2003. Got it for Rs 20. Also got other tech magazine like Chip.
But it was digit that made me hooked. Loved reading about technology and stuff. Made me want to go back to the market and find more old issues of digit which I can get for Rs 10 or 20.

When I started to do part time jobs, I use to buy special editions on occasions. I became a regular subscriber only after I got a full time job from 2009. It was during this time that I joined this forum too because of the first CTC. Oh the times.

Some great memories. Now I rarely get time to read digit, but the mag still have a place in my life.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I barely have time myself. Though I do engage on the forum and the TG groups regularly.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I first read Digit back in 2006 in a library & found it quite good. Used to purchase & read it regularly. Still have that Don remake of Shahrukh khan movie on a double layer dvd(first & the only time I saw or own an Indian movie dvd on double layer) which come with an anniversary edition I think.:)

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I remember when they had given 4 movie DVDs as a subscription renewal gift. Still have those in my hometown somewhere.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Don't know about year, but the movies were:

Lord Of The Rings
Terminator 2
A Bollywood movie I don't remember the name.
One more movie whose name I don't remember.

Will update when I remember the names.

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Must be pre-2007(only reading it in library at that time) because I remember no major movie dvd was given after Don remake in 2007 till late 2009 I think.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Wasn't chip and digit same when started?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Yes. Basically branding changed.

Chip is a trademark owned by Vogel Burda GmbH in Germany. They had licensed Jasubhai Digital Media to use the name Chip to publish magazines in India. Later on they cancelled the licensing and Jasubhai had to rebrand the magazine to Digit. So, everything was the same except the name.

Chip later came back as IC Chip but that was a completely different magazine from Digit.

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

I got hands on Digit magazine back in 2007 or so maybe. Used to buy it regularly till 2012. Even after that, I bought it a couple of times while travelling, maybe the last purchase was in 2015. By then youtube & other websites removed the need for digit mag for me. Nowadays just a regular forum user.

Cyberghost

Federal Agent Area 51
Staff member
I started reading digit since 2003 after my classmate introduced the magazine to me. Started regular subscription since 2009. Digit is the only source to know the prices of hardware at that time. That time one need to read digit whenever you need to purchase computer parts otherwise you'll probably get scammed by local sellers. Anyway Happy Anniversary digit :)

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, it used to be in almost every build. I wanted to purchase it but it was not available in my location at the time.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, it used to be in almost every build. I wanted to purchase it but it was not available in my location at the time.
I once asked about this cabinet in Nehru Place Delhi & shopkeeper & another person sitting beside him started smiling as this "Bijli" name was often used for female characters in 60s to 80s bollywood movies. :grin:

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
I got my hands on digit during 2007-2008 Digit used to be a costly magazine So i rarely got to read it.Later it came to my library near me so used to read it from there and ask the librarian to lend me dvd's for sometime.Good times.This made me to browse forums regularly I browse forums alot but i rarely used to post.This forum was on par with other forums in india.

Top Bottom