Graphics Card Help - In-Game Refresh Rate/Flickering

Status
Not open for further replies.

panchamk

Broken In
I recently purchased a BIG 6600 256 MB card (low budget, or I would've gone for the GT).

It works all right, but it has the following problem.

In Windows 98 and XP, I've set the refresh rate to 70 hertz, which is fine. The display never flickers.

But when I load a game--Half Life 2 or NFS: Most Wanted Demo or Quake 4--everything from the menu screen to the actual in-game graphics have two horizontal lines running down the screen. The kind we usually associate with lower refresh rates. I tried forcing the refresh rate of games to 70 and 75 hertz using DirectX's override (in the dxdiag.exe's More tab), but the problem persists. I have Forceware v77.00.

What could be causing this problem? My power supply is rated 300.

This problem only springs up in games--even old DirectX seven games like Deus Ex. The Windows display--including movies--is fine. So I don't think it's a monitor problem.

I tried browsing through the stickied All Graphics Card Queries Here thread, but didn't find any useful suggestions. Please help.

OP
P

panchamk

Broken In
I downloaded the drivers you linked in XP and installed the latest drivers for 98SE as well (Forceware 81.98 ).

I'm still getting the problem. :(

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Well I am not an expert on this subject but found some contents in the net. Also u can disable VSync and see if it helps.

*forums.techguy.org/games/96017-refresh-rate-problems.html

*home.comcast.net/~kagamix2/xp-compatible/refresh_rate.html

Sorry wasn't able to answer ur question, but when I had same problem as urs then just the driver update solved it.

OP
P

panchamk

Broken In
Thanks.

I tried the refresh rate override as well as various tweaks from guru3d which say they lock the refresh rate.

The problem still exists.

Besides, I'm not sure if it's really a refresh-rate problem, because my monitor's OSD shows the same refresh rate in games as it does on the desktop. I tried Half Life 2's custom command line parameter (-refresh 75), and I still get those lines.

Could there be something wrong with my graphics adapter?

It didn't exist with my previous card (Asus Geforce MX440 64 MB DDR), so I wondered if it was a problem with the directx9 subset, and ran Half Life 2 in forced DX7 mode as well as a couple of old DX7 games (Deus Ex), but I still get those lines.

And in case it helps: in Half Life 2, on full settings at 800x600x32, I still get a comfortable 40 FPS in even the most intensive scenes.

OP
P

panchamk

Broken In
I have a Philips 105S7 15" monitor. The rest of my specs: P IV 2.6 GHz, 512 MB DDR Ram, Intel chipset based motherboard.

Just to check it out, I uninstalled my graphics card after uninstalling its drivers, and booted up the computer with the onboard Intel Extreme chip. I loaded up an old DX7 game, and the problem doesn't exist there.

Is it a driver problem, then?

mohit

The Hardware Labs
Re: need help

jasukalbaguncle said:
first of all always go for a xfx rather than big geforce.second download drivers for ur card,dont play with refresth rate.

are you out of your mind man ?? why are u talking nonsense here ?? and look at your posts everywhere .. lmao u will get banned in no time if you contiune like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom