Broken In
Hi All

My current setup (I am from India):

Proc : AMD 5950x
Mobo : Asus ROG Crosshair VIII dark hero
RAM : 2 x 16GB DDR4 G Skill 3600 C16
GPU : GTX 1080
Display : Acer XB271HU

Usage : Gaming + Work + Photo editing (Lightroom/Photoshop). Gaming is "seasonal" - spending more time on the console these days but desktop gaming days will definitely come!

I had upgraded the Mobo/Proc/RAM (over a year ago) and kept the GPU. I am planning on upgrading the monitor and GPU and I had a few queries:

1) GPU --> Have been using my 1080 for 7 years now. This purchase would most likely last for a similar timeframe - so thinking of going big - a 4090 maybe.
  • The cheapest 2 options for me are: the 4090 FE (~1920 USD - This is the MSRP in India) and the Gigabyte Gaming OC (~1950 USD).
    • I hear that the Gigabyte Gamin OC has less coil whine. Any other reasons to pick one over the other ?
    • I have Corsair 1000RMi PSU. Should be able to handle a 4090 ? Need to just buy a 12VHPWR cable ? Will this one do (the two 8 pins goes to the PSU PCIe outputs ?) :
*mdcomputers.in/corsair-600w-pcie-5-0-12vhpwr-type-4-psu-power-cable-cp-8920284.html

2) Display --> Thinking of going ultra-wide, but, very difficult to get one of those in India! :(
  • Shortlisted a few:
    • 38" Dell Alienware AW3821DW (~1475 USD)
    • 49" Samsung CRG9 (~1475 USD)
    • 34" Acer Predator X34GS (~850 USD)
    • 43" Acer Predator CG437K (~750 USD)
    • 43" Gigabyte Aorus FV43U (~790 USD)
  • Anyone using these monitors ? :) Particularly the 49/43 inch ones ? I do have a large table - but, how is the practicality ?
  • The 43" Acer/Gigabyte --> I am actually quite interested in these, but reading quite a few conflicting opinions - related to text readability and black smearing. Anyone using these ?

Help!

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Black smearing will happen only on VA panel except 2020 G7. Dell and Samsung mentioned above by you are OLED and QLED respectively.
Also consider AW3420DW and Samsung OLED G8 and Neo G8
I have seen 34" personally in mall and it felt big enough to accommodate 3 windows side-by-side easily. 38" and bigger are certainly very wide and not sure how much it helps in photoshop and such but as per Youtube reviews, its a blessing for video and sound editing.
We have @Rishi here who uses PC with big TV mounted on top as additional display, may be will be able to tell more about the practicality about 43-49" displays.

Edit-I have tagged wrong person here. Anyone remember Rishi's username who is more active here?

Last edited:
A good cable should be good for PSU to GPU connection.

43" is too big for being the primary monitor, fine if your table has enough depth. It is fine for gaming & content consumption. Do you intend to keep current monitor? If yes, then just get a 43" OLED. LG C2 42" is also a good contender, check locally, might get it for under 80k.

Else, OLEDs don't have RGB sub pixel layout. So not ideal for photo or video editing, but there are people who do it.

Where are you going to buy stuff from? If India, please use INR.

OP
S

stanzlavos

Broken In
Black smearing will happen only on VA panel except 2020 G7. Dell and Samsung are OLED and QLED respectively.
Also consider AW3420DW and Samsung OLED G8 and Neo G8
I have seen 34" personally in mall and it felt big enough to accommodate 3 windows side-by-side easily. 38" and bigger are certainly very wide and not sure how much it helps in photoshop and such but as per Youtube reviews, its a blessing for video and sound editing.
We have @Rishi here who uses PC with big TV mounted on top as additional display, may be will be able to tell more about the practicality about 43-49" displays.

Edit-I have tagged wrong person here. Anyone remember Rishi's username who is more active here?

Not confident to go the OLED/QD-OLED route. :smile: I think a 34" would be fine - Like you said, 38" might end up being a bit too much (and expensive!).

OP
S

stanzlavos

Broken In
A good cable should be good for PSU to GPU connection.

43" is too big for being the primary monitor, fine if your table has enough depth. It is fine for gaming & content consumption. Do you intend to keep current monitor? If yes, then just get a 43" OLED. LG C2 42" is also a good contender, check locally, might get it for under 80k.

Else, OLEDs don't have RGB sub pixel layout. So not ideal for photo or video editing, but there are people who do it.

Where are you going to buy stuff from? If India, please use INR.
Not confident to go the OLED/QD-OLED route. :smile: I think I'll pickup a 34" IPS. :smile:

I'll usually buy from SP Road, Bangalore.

Not confident to go the OLED/QD-OLED route. :smile: I think I'll pickup a 34" IPS. :smile:

I'll usually buy from SP Road, Bangalore.
I think 34" ultrawide is as wide as a 42/43" TV.

What about the old monitor?

Ankit Infotech & Supercomputer had good prices last time I went there.

OP
S

stanzlavos

Broken In
I think 34" ultrawide is as wide as a 42/43" TV.

What about the old monitor?

Ankit Infotech & Supercomputer had good prices last time I went there.
Will be keeping the old monitor...

For the last few iterations, I have been using Ashirwad Computers.

Will be keeping the old monitor...

For the last few iterations, I have been using Ashirwad Computers.
If you are keeping the old monitor, maybe look into TV for multimedia usage. Continue using monitor for work.
amazon.in/dp/B0BS3ZJ98X

For ultrawide as primary monitor, do research enough on what you are getting in to. Which monitor are you eyeing?

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I don't think in India we have 34" ultrawide monitor which is IPS and also 120+Hz refresh rate. Do not go for Benq EX3415R, it is old monitor which doesnt support HDMI 2.1, unless this doesnt bother you.
BTW, why are you not looking for QD-OLED?

Last edited:
OP
S

stanzlavos

Broken In
If you are keeping the old monitor, maybe look into TV for multimedia usage. Continue using monitor for work.
amazon.in/dp/B0BS3ZJ98X

For ultrawide as primary monitor, do research enough on what you are getting in to. Which monitor are you eyeing?

I don't think in India we have 34" ultrawide monitor which is IPS and also 120+Hz refresh rate. Do not go for Benq EX3415R, it is old monitor which doesnt support HDMI 2.1, unless this doesnt bother you.
BTW, why are you not looking for QD-OLED?

I did look at the Neo G7 43". First of all, I couldn't find any "proper" reviews for it. And from the info that I did find (videos/comments/reddit), it seems that the monitor was not calibrated well out of the box. Also, it seems to have a good amount of ghosting/smearing. I have never personally used a VA panel and I couldn't find a way to personally look at one before making the purchase. After using a tape measure, the 43" size also started to become a concern. :razz: Anyhow, the primary concern was if the black smearing on the VA panel would destroy the experience. :smile:

Was not very confident to go the OLED/QD-OLED route - fear of burn-in of course. My Acer Predator XB271HU (IPS) has served me well for the past 7 years - given the information that I have about OLEDs/QD-OLEDs I was not certain if I would be able to say the same thing 7 years from now if I got one. :razz:

Anyhow, after a lot of thought and consideration (actually was fed up of the research and time I have been pouring into this!), I ended up getting an Acer Predator X34 GS (no HDMI 2.1, but it comes with calibration certificate [sRGB] :-o). If any of you have bad things to say about this monitor, please don't! :lol::sealed:

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I did look at the Neo G7 43". First of all, I couldn't find any "proper" reviews for it. And from the info that I did find (videos/comments/reddit), it seems that the monitor was not calibrated well out of the box. Also, it seems to have a good amount of ghosting/smearing. I have never personally used a VA panel and I couldn't find a way to personally look at one before making the purchase. After using a tape measure, the 43" size also started to become a concern. :razz: Anyhow, the primary concern was if the black smearing on the VA panel would destroy the experience. :smile:

Was not very confident to go the OLED/QD-OLED route - fear of burn-in of course. My Acer Predator XB271HU (IPS) has served me well for the past 7 years - given the information that I have about OLEDs/QD-OLEDs I was not certain if I would be able to say the same thing 7 years from now if I got one. :razz:

Anyhow, after a lot of thought and consideration (actually was fed up of the research and time I have been pouring into this!), I ended up getting an Acer Predator X34 GS (no HDMI 2.1, but it comes with calibration certificate [sRGB] :-o). If any of you have bad things to say about this monitor, please don't! :lol::sealed:
I was aactually talking about Neo G7 32". It is not VA so no black smearing.

Few questions for you if you dont mind,
  • How much you paid for X34 GS?
  • What's the initial impression?
  • You found good reviews for this?
  • And source of purchase?

Top Bottom