Govt bans 59 Chinese apps including TikTok as border tensions simmer in Ladakh

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
*www.indiatoday.in/india/story/centre-announces-ban-chinese-apps-privacy-issues-1695265-2020-06-29

A government press release announcing the ban stated: "The Ministry of Information Technology, invoking it’s power under section 69A of the Information Technology Act read with the relevant provisions of the Information Technology (Procedure and Safeguards for Blocking of Access of Information by Public) Rules 2009 and in view of the emergent nature of threats has decided to block 59 apps since in view of information available they are engaged in activities which is prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India, defence of India, security of state and public order".

The press release further said that the Ministry of Information Technology has received "many representations raising concerns from citizens regarding security of data and risk to privacy relating to operation of certain apps".

"The Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-IN) has also received many representations from citizens regarding security of data and breach of privacy impacting upon public order issues," the press release mentioned.

It further says that the move to ban these Chinese apps move will "safeguard the interests of crores of Indian mobile and internet users". This decision is a targeted move to ensure safety and sovereignty of Indian cyberspace, it said.
List of banned apps:

*i.redd.it/00hs6syxdv751.jpg

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I don't understand, what do apps have to do with border tension.
people compare e-peen if real peen is smol
Anyway, I'm glad the cancer that is tiktok is gone. Did you guys know, there was supposedly some official Govt Of India account in tiktok ?

OP
SaiyanGoku

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I don't understand, what do apps have to do with border tension.
We have alternatives to software but not the hardware. I would like to setup large scale, end to end, vertically integrated electronic manufacturing plant but instead of supporting it govt puts more hurdles. Reliance can do it all by themselves but even they know how bad the govt policies are. Basically, the govt is saying:
*i.imgflip.com/sw3j2.jpg

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have alternatives to software but not the hardware. I would like to setup large scale, end to end, vertically integrated electronic manufacturing plant but instead of supporting it govt puts more hurdles. Reliance can do it all by themselves but even they know how bad the govt policies are.
Forget about it as long as antique land & labour laws exist. As for reliance, don't expect too much from them as being a "family enterprise" they don't value innovation as much other than the obvious price cutting(which supposedly every Indian understands). Better hope Tata gets into semiconductor/IC manufacturing as they are much more professional compared to Reliance despite also being a family enterprise.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
So, what does this mean, the apps will be removed from the app stores? Servers will be blocked?

Top Bottom