Got a replace battery warning.

BhargavJ

In the zone
I have a Toshiba Satellite L 755 - S 5107:

Toshiba Satellite® L755-S5107 15.6" widescreen Laptop (Silver) | Laptops | Computers | us.toshiba.com

When I started charging it today, there was a red cross sign on the battery icon, with the message:

"Consider replacing your battery.

There is a problem with your battery, so your computer might shut down suddenly."

My brother in law bought it in the US last year, somewhere around March, so its about one and a half year gone by. Do laptop batteries last only this much? Secondly, is there a battery diagnostics tool that you all can suggest that can tell me what the error is?

Thanks.

RON28

Cyborg Agent
Some laptop batteries hardly last 1 year and some may last more than 2 years, it also depends on your usage. download HW monitor and check battery wear level. i believe your wear level should be around 85% thats why that alert came.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Bhargav J said:
Do laptop batteries last only this much? Secondly, is there a battery diagnostics tool that you all can suggest that can tell me what the error is?
Your laptop will abruptly shut down when it's not plugged in. You will see power level to 50% but the next minute you will get battery low warning and it will turn off.

The only thing you can do now is either keep it plugged into power at all time or get a replacement battery.

OP
B

BhargavJ

In the zone
I downloaded the HW setup, have attached a screenshot. It shows wear level of 61%. The mains power is not connected.

*s10.postimg.org/fj6bg6qrp/HW_Monitor_info.jpg

I generally turn on the laptop with the power cable attached, and keep the outside power supply on even when the battery is fully charged. Is this what created the problem. I thought using the mains power would help decrease the load on the battery.

RON28

Cyborg Agent
Yes you are right, keeping the laptop all day on power cable with battery attached results in battery degradation, its best to take out battery keep your laptop ON with power plug.

Top Bottom