Google+ to shut down after coverup of data-exposing bug

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Source: Google+ to shut down after coverup of data-exposing bug

Google is about to have its Cambridge Analytica moment. A security bug allowed third-party developers to access Google+ user profile data since 2015 until Google discovered and patched it in March, but decided not to inform the world. When a user gave permission to an app to access their public profile data, the bug also let those developers pull their and their friends’ non-public profile fields. Indeed, 496,951 users’ full names, email addresses, birth dates, gender, profile photos, places lived, occupation and relationship status were potentially exposed, though Google says it has no evidence the data was misused by the 438 apps that could have had access.

The company decided against informing the public because it would lead to “us coming into the spotlight alongside or even instead of Facebook despite having stayed under the radar throughout the Cambridge Analytica scandal,” according to an internal memo. Now Google+, which was already a ghost town largely abandoned or never inhabited by users, has become a massive liability for the company.

RIP Google Plus. Though I don't really care much about it, I think it still was an alternative to Facebook's dominance in social networking.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
First Google Waves. Then Orkut and now Google Plus?
billubakra is absolutely right.

But it's not appropriate for them to decide against informing public. You can't expect to do a F up and then just axe the product just cause you could. :/

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Source: Google+ to shut down after coverup of data-exposing bug

RIP Google Plus. Though I don't really care much about it, I think it still was an alternative to Facebook's dominance in social networking.

Nah, I dont think so. Facebook is still overlord of the masses. and I bet, behind the scenes its just as bad or even worse than G+

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
First Google Waves. Then Orkut and now Google Plus?
billubakra is absolutely right.

But it's not appropriate for them to decide against informing public. You can't expect to do a F up and then just axe the product just cause you could. :/

They didn't inform the public due to fear of regulation.

Google covered up a data breach out of fear of more government regulation.

Top Bottom