Good Antivirus for PC?

Ronnie012

Earthling
MC Afee antivirus which I had purchased got deactivated. Right now I am using Microsoft Security Essentials on my PC (since I am using Original Windows).

But now I found out that Microsoft Security Essentials is not upto the mark(its updated but fails to detect any virus on my pc).

So are there any free antivirus available which I can download to my system to remove viruses? (No AVG/Avira)

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Avira > all. No one comes close. Avast can fail you, recently only it failed to detect a new pen drive virus out in the wild in my hostel. Avira will never fail.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
bitdefender free is not being developed actively,you will get definitions update but AV engine is quite old now.Avira free seems to be the best choice among free AVs now-a-days based on various tests by av-comparatives.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I agree, Bitdefender is Garbage, completely broke my browser and wifi and even after searching for months could not fix the issue..
My trusted companion is Kaspersky, nothing I have used comes close to it's performance and reliability

OP
Ronnie012

Ronnie012

Earthling
Whats the download size of avast? There's a 4.7 mb installation file. But after installing it asked to download again. But afterc2 hrs of trying to doenload on my reliance 3g net, finalky cancelked it : (

quicky008

Technomancer
Whats the download size of avast? There's a 4.7 mb installation file. But after installing it asked to download again. But afterc2 hrs of trying to doenload on my reliance 3g net, finalky cancelked it : (

You can download the complete setup file of Avast free edition from filehippo.com-it should be around 150-200 mb in size.

OP
Ronnie012

Ronnie012

Earthling
^Any link you can provide for ESET 1 year free version?

Also P.s. - After installing Avast from filehippo and updating it I found that it's detecting only game trainers and setup files files with .exe as virus (which are not viruses). Only 1 or 2 real virus it ha detected(i.e out of total 10 viruses detected so far , 7 are pc game trainers and one is an utorrent.exe set up file )
Also, validity expires after 1 month :|

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have to register free version within 30 days using just an email id.
Register for Free and Get License for Your avast! Antivirus 2014 | getavast.net.
btw upload those files avast detected to virustotal.com to see how many AVs detect these files as virus(focus on kaspersky,bitdefender,avira,eset & norton).

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^Any link you can provide for ESET 1 year free version?

Also P.s. - After installing Avast from filehippo and updating it I found that it's detecting only game trainers and setup files files with .exe as virus (which are not viruses). Only 1 or 2 real virus it ha detected(i.e out of total 10 viruses detected so far , 7 are pc game trainers and one is an utorrent.exe set up file )
Also, validity expires after 1 month :|
Use Avira.

OP
Ronnie012

Ronnie012

Earthling
You have to register free version within 30 days using just an email id.
Register for Free and Get License for Your avast! Antivirus 2014 | getavast.net.
btw upload those files avast detected to virustotal.com to see how many AVs detect these files as virus(focus on kaspersky,bitdefender,avira,eset & norton).

Ok will do that

- - - Updated - - -

Use Avira.

Already tried

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
malwarebytes antimalware

saved me when my computer got a virus(could not open any browser and it will close automatically(mozilla & IE also )
after scanning and a restart, everything normal

Top Bottom