Gigabyte has silently backdoored millions of motherboards...

maheshn

Journeyman
Quote: " Millions of PC Motherboards Were Sold With a Firmware Backdoor - Hidden code in hundreds of models of Gigabyte motherboards invisibly and insecurely downloads programs—a feature ripe for abuse, researchers say."

Source: Wired *www.wired.com/story/gigabyte-motherboard-firmware-backdoor/
Source with list of affected motherboards: *eclypsium.com/blog/supply-chain-risk-from-gigabyte-app-center-backdoor/
*eclypsium.com/wp-content/uploads/Gigabyte-Affected-Models.pdf

Don't know the true extent of the problem but ... a very large list of affected motherboards. After the recent ASUS/AMD voltage issues and burning chips/boards, this is precisely what no one wanted.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I read about this as well. This is perhaps a bigger fiasco than the ASUS over-voltage issue.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Airtel Fiber is currently using Nokia G-2425GA. They came with ssh and telnet enabled from the factory and could be accessed outside the network. This thing was never covered by media but only in some GitHub page which I am unable to find again. They fixed it with later revisions though.

Now after reversing config file, I have found that it listens to a specific address for firmware files which do not require any credentials too. Pretty much insecure as attacker can easily swap and place backdoored firmware. It has also been documented on ibf, but it is perhaps a smaller issue so no media is paying attention

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
If Gamers Nexus decides to cover it, then Gigabyte will be in trouble.
I doubt they will since GN usually concerns themselves with technical aspects of the products. I don't recall them covering something like this before.

OP
maheshn

maheshn

Journeyman
I doubt they will since GN usually concerns themselves with technical aspects of the products. I don't recall them covering something like this before.
Neowin covered it today

neowin.net/news/if-you-have-a-gigabyte-motherboard-in-your-pc-you-might-have-a-secret-firmware-backdoor/

Sorry the bbcode appears to be truncating the link.

Gamersnexus - Steve is covering Computex in Taipei and has posted a few videos from there, so may not come onto this now

EDIT: Gigabyte has acknowledged the issue and started issuing BIOS updates mentioning this.

Attachments

• bios.jpg
    bios.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
OP
maheshn

maheshn

Journeyman
Steve has covered it now !

Now on GN youtube channel

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom