Gigabit router and gigabit PCI NIC - need buying advice

user28

Journeyman
Guys,

Upgraded to 100 Mbps internet connection. Would be shortly upgrading to a Wifi tv and possibly Chromecast. HD streaming to TV will be a daily routing now.
Apart from this currently 3 mobile phones and 1 laptop share the same internet connection now. Usage is mostly youtube for now.

I also have a PC with a PCI NIC which i am using it for the last 14 years... yes you read it right and it is still working flawlessly. It is an Intex PCI NIC- RTL8139 chipset bought in 2004 f0r 132 rupees.
Need to update that now as well to a Gigabit PCI NIC. - PCI or PCIE

So now the requirements are
1. Gigabit router. - Dual band not required for now and even USB port is also not needed. Good if it is DD-WRT supported but not mandatory

2. PCIE or PCI gigabit NIC for my desktop

Budget:
For router - 3K
NIC - 1K

Open for online buying. Let me know your suggestions and advice please.

Thanks.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
My ethernet port for mobo busted years back, had to use something like this on my older system

*www.amazon.in/TP-Link-Gigabit-Express-Network-Adapter/dp/B003CFATNI

OP
U

user28

Journeyman
Any suggestions guys?

Decided to take the TP-Link PCIx NIC card.
Only the router is pending now. I need the router to have the gigabit LAN/WAN ports. USB port is not required.

Thanks.

OP
U

user28

Journeyman
Shortlisted these routers which have the Gigabit WAN and LAN ports

Dlink Dir 825
TP-Link Acher C2 AC900
TP-Link TL-WR1043N
Open to Netgear, Linksys and Asus but no idea about them.

Help me here to choose the router please.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
In my opinion spending 3k on a gigabit router is not worth it unless you absolutely can not afford extra 1.5k.I would rather wait & save extra money to get this a few weeks/month later instead of buying a cheap gigabit router now.
*www.amazon.in/Asus-RT-AC58U-AC1300-Gigabit-Wireless/dp/B01MS5KZDG/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1531149002&sr=1-2&refinements=p_89:Asus

chetansha

In the zone
My vote goes for netgear r7000 . you can install open source firmware on it.
Very good range.
Dual usb ports. _ hdd / printer / usb 4g dongle
Usb hdd can be used to download torrents and other file s
Also this router can have 2 internet connection thru wan+lan or wan+usb port. Load balancing , fail over.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Thats too overkill dude. AC58U, is probably most VFM if you want a lot of advanced features, beyond that. Spend only if you require

Top Bottom