Garbage character

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him007

Journeyman
Hi,
I have just install the win XP on my laptop, I used fresh installation over win 2k server.
I have 3 drives namely c(2k), d e(XP). Once I clicked any drive I am not able to open that drive on my computer.
If I select the drive & right click I get the garbage charcter insted of OPEN option.
All the drive can be accessible only once I open IE and type the drive letter.
pls help (attachment is attached)
thanks
Him007

slugger

Banned
y dont u check ur Regional and Language option 2 c if d language and region is set to English [United States or sumthin]

BTW was d d:\ drive an ecrypted NTFS partition when you were using d previous OS on it

also is this problem only when you r tryin 2 access d drive in XP or u face d same problem in Win2k also?

OP
H

Him007

Journeyman
Hey Slugger!

Language is set to English (United States).
All the 3 drives are in the NTFS partitions.
If I boot the win 2k OS evething is fine.

pls note that I have also scanned the machine with AVG Anti-virus & Anti-spyware program.

thanks..

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Go to Folder Options and view all Hidden Files and Folders. Also uncheck Hide Protected Operating System files. Now go to the Drive D: using IE or you can also go by typing D: in the My Computer location bar. You'll find a file name Autorun.ini. Simply delete that.

This used to happen in my friend's pen drive when he used to insert it in the school computers due to a Trojan. Also have a Scan using NOD32 and Kaspersky.

OP
H

Him007

Journeyman
^^ Go to Folder Options and view all Hidden Files and Folders. Also uncheck Hide Protected Operating System files. Now go to the Drive D: using IE or you can also go by typing D: in the My Computer location bar. You'll find a file name Autorun.ini. Simply delete that.

This used to happen in my friend's pen drive when he used to insert it in the school computers due to a Trojan. Also have a Scan using NOD32 and Kaspersky.

Done the same thing but problem is still sa,me

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Restart now.....

After doing this I had to remove his pen-drive and insert again....then all the Options appeared fine

So, Restart now......

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Run a scan using NOD32 3.0.....It will delete that Virus/Trojan/Worm...

But I am damn sure that Autorun.ini file is creating problem. It must have been recreated by the malware. I has happened a lakh times with my friend's pen drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom