Gaming system + VM use, budget limit 75k

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
I plan to build a PC primarily for playing games and have arrived at the following config. Please help me improve it or fix any mistakes.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Gaming, FPSes mainly - all of them. Also need to run VMs (so need Intel VT or whatever else is needed)

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: upper limit 75k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No. May in the future, but not going to pay any significant premium for overclockable processors.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Already have Win 7, Win 8. Will likely buy Win 10.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 256GB, SSD

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes, need a 1080p monitor too.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: KB + Mice + speakers

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: By end of next month, latest by December.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Self-assembling

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bangalore. Any mode of buy is fine, only going by the best deal - online or offline.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Here is the config I have settled on :-
i5 4440 11k
Gigabyte GA-H81M-S1 Motherboard 3.5k
Zotac GTX 970 27k ?
<256GB SSD> 10k? - suggest please.
Corsair VS 650W PSU 4k
Crucial 2x8GB DDR3 1600, 9-9-9-24 (I may be able to get this one via an aquantance, and looks cheaper than Indian prices of 13k+) 9k
A good 1080p monitor with matte screen (and vertical adjust if available) 10k? - suggest please

Comments, critique, suggestions invited :)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, are there any mother board features that I should be aware of - like any requirement from the part of MB to support Intel VT ?
I suppose we can SLI GPUs that lie one in PCIE Gen3 and one in Gen2 ports, correct ?

Last edited:

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
i5 4570 - 13k
Zotac GTX 970 Amp! - 30k
RAM - 9k
Samsung EVO 256GB ~ 11k
Asus B85 D3H - 6k
Seasonic S12II 520W - 5k
AOC I2369VM ~ 10K

If you can go with this, go with it, otherwise get R9 285 ~ 20k

OP
pranav0091

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
i5 4570 - 13k
Zotac GTX 970 Amp! - 30k
RAM - 9k
Samsung EVO 256GB ~ 11k
Asus B85 D3H - 6k
Seasonic S12II 520W - 5k
AOC I2369VM ~ 10K

If you can go with this, go with it, otherwise get R9 285 ~ 20k

Thank you.
What does Asus B85 D3H have that I should pay about 3k more for it ? Similarly query about about the Seasonic S12II 520W.

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
Thank you.
What does Asus B85 D3H have that I should pay about 3k more for it ? Similarly query about about the Seasonic S12II 520W.
More USB 3.0, SATA 6Gbps, RAM slots and some other advantages.

The corsair VS series is blacklisted for PSUs. They are not reliable. Seasonic uses better parts to make their PSUs and their PSUs are good enough. You can go with Antec VP 550p ~3.5k too if you have budget problems.

OP
pranav0091

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
More USB 3.0, SATA 6Gbps, RAM slots and some other advantages.

The corsair VS series is blacklisted for PSUs. They are not reliable. Seasonic uses better parts to make their PSUs and their PSUs are good enough. You can go with Antec VP 550p ~3.5k too if you have budget problems.

Good to know that the Corsair PSU is best avoided. Weird that not a single review on FK complains of this. Thanks.

Regarding USB 3.0 ports, I think I'll be fine with 2 - although the lack of front-facing USB 3 ports is a bummer. But right now I dont think I should spend 3k for that. Same with the 16GB RAM limit. I will be using VM's once in a while, but dont see myself buying anymore RAM, given how pricy it is. I understand that Gen2 vs Gen 3 in PCIE is essentially nothing more than a bullet point at this point.

Top Bottom