Gaming Monitor: Should double up as a good desktop TV.

Samarth 619

Modrator @ Xbhp Biking
Dear Forum members,

My family already has a dumb LCD TV, Videocon 42 inch, Full HD.
Now, I'm considering a separate screen for myself, to use with my gaming laptop Msi GV 62VR 7RF which has a Core i7 with Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB.
But I hate the concept of connected/smart TV's, disconnected smart TV is acceptable though if it exists. So, I think the best way is to go Gaming Monitor way.
The requirements are the following:

Use case: 1. Monitor for gaming, 2. for general use and 4K60 video watching in high details, etc (videos from my LG G8x mostly & youtube) and 3. watching TV.

Resolution: My first priority is 4K (3840x2160), second choice is 2K (2560x1440). All 16:9, no ultrawides. I wish to watch 4K60 videos in higher detail.
Either ways, maximum times, my gaming will be at 1080p only (for about 170 fps in CS:GO). 4K is 4 times of FullHD so 4K is great, but I'm concerned about wierd pixelation of FullHD Gaming on 2K screen, will it affect my gameplay/ aiming?
If its approved by you guys, I can game in FullHD on a 2K screen as well.

Refresh Rate & Response: Considering, I get about 200 fps max on CSGO, I'm considering 144Hz (my laptop has 60Hz for now). Max 165-170Hz would be great. No extra needed.

Screen Size: I'll use it on my desk as monitor, I would like it to be 32 inch diagonal. But can adjust between 27 inch to 40 inch.

Interface: I have both a DisplayPort and HDMI on my laptop, Msi GV62VR 7RF purchased in 2017. It runs windows 7, and HDMI/DP versions are unknown at the moment, I can find if needed.
I'm planning to run 2 modes:- either 1080p (or lower) at 144-170Hz, or for video watching 2K/ 4K at the same 60Hz.

Color/ Quality Expected: I expect the same quality as my NTSC 94% laptop screen. Brightness enough for the room. I hope it will be ok for varied needs, including TV.
HDR is not so needed, but could be appreciated.

Speakers: Yes, stereo speakers with better sound than a good laptop.

Smart Features: Should NOT be there. No connection to internet, no Wifi. Privacy needed.

Budget: The least the better, but lol, wishes. :D I plan for something within Rs. 35,000 but can go upto 40k or 45k for a good deal.

I think I covered everything. I'm consider some products, but all of them lack in one way or another. Sufficient options exist in world of 2K monitors, but can I get a decent 4K in my budget?
Also, do I need 4K at all? What about fullHD competitive gaming, on a 2K screen, with reference to Counter Strike:Global Offensive?

Wrong thread & fill this:
Questionnaire for TV/Monitor purchase queries

Anyways, you can't get a 4K 144Hz monitor for 35k, starts around 50k.

Plan to use the miniDP port, will be able to push 4K 60Hz or 2K 144Hz. Speakers on monitors are shit, no other way to describe it. Get a good ext. speaker.

I assume your monitor will always be connected to the laptop.

1080p on 1440p res display doesn't look as sharp as on a 1080p panel. Your laptop is powerful enough for 2K gaming for CS GO & FIFA like light games only.

My suggestion:
Amazon.in
and this stand: Amazon.in

LG 32GK650F used to be a decent 32" choice but is out of stock now.

OP
Samarth 619

Samarth 619

Modrator @ Xbhp Biking
Wrong thread & fill this:
Questionnaire for TV/Monitor purchase queries

Anyways, you can't get a 4K 144Hz monitor for 35k, starts around 50k.

Plan to use the miniDP port, will be able to push 4K 60Hz or 2K 144Hz. Speakers on monitors are shit, no other way to describe it. Get a good ext. speaker.

I assume your monitor will always be connected to the laptop.

1080p on 1440p res display doesn't look as sharp as on a 1080p panel. Your laptop is powerful enough for 2K gaming for CS GO & FIFA like light games only.

My suggestion:
Amazon.in
and this stand: Amazon.in

LG 32GK650F used to be a decent 32" choice but is out of stock now.
I missed the questionnaire but I believe I answered all the things asked in it, in wrong order maybe.

Your reply has put me in a difficult position.
Anyhow, easy things first, I already have external speakers so that's sorted. Monitor will always be connected to laptop via miniDP, so I can use HDMI to connect to set top box. All good here.

Now the difficult part.
If 1080p (2 megapixels) is not sharp enough on a 2K (5 megapixels) monitor, then I'll be forced to game on 2K, which means I won't be getting 170-200 fps anymore, and will lose the competitive advantage in multiplayer games... and pushing 2.5 times more pixels, I suspect I'll not even be able to use 144Hz fully...
Reducing to 720p on 2K to get 4 to 1 pixel (sharpness) advantage is useless because even in CSGO we need to see detail.
If I get a FullHD monitor instead, I'll save some cash but its useless because my laptop already has 15.6 inch FullHD, with 60 Hz though. So, I'll only get the added framerates, no use for 4K vids.

So, what do I do now? I'm confused.

Ok, suppose I extend my budget even further to 55,000 (big cash but I'll manage) then which is the cheapest 4K 144Hz that will completely fit my use case? including 28-32 inch size & panel quality? Could you help?

Last edited:
Amazon.in
Cheapest 4K 144Hz monitor - excellent deal right now at 44k. Use amazon CC for further cashback.
Acer Predator XB273K Pbmiphzx Review

CS GO is a light game, so is FIFA. I said those games will run at 2K natively. Forget running a game like Cyberpunk even decently at 1080p. So if all you play is CS GO, no issues.

I'm not sure if set-top box will work well, esp with audio. The Acer 4K monitor does have 3.5mm jack, so can connect speakers to monitor.

OP
Samarth 619

Samarth 619

Modrator @ Xbhp Biking
Amazon.in
Cheapest 4K 144Hz monitor - excellent deal right now at 44k. Use amazon CC for further cashback.
Acer Predator XB273K Pbmiphzx Review

CS GO is a light game, so is FIFA. I said those games will run at 2K natively. Forget running a game like Cyberpunk even decently at 1080p. So if all you play is CS GO, no issues.

I'm not sure if set-top box will work well, esp with audio. The Acer 4K monitor does have 3.5mm jack, so can connect speakers to monitor.
Thank you so much for the help bro.
Well, at 44k it seems like an awesome deal. And with all the right ports and specs, I suppose there's no visible negative, except for the 27 inch size. I hoped for something in the 32-40 inch realm, but I can manage this much I guess, specially on a desk...

Mostly, I play CS:GO competitve only. Cyberpunk with its bugs and errors, I guess no, can't purchase. Other games I might try sometime.

Before I finally decide, I have a query, suppose I choose a 2K monitor:-

1. Can I play in 1080p, with centralised display? I mean, the 1080p screen should appear in the middle, with black borders around it. Then it should be pretty sharp...

2. Suppose I get a 38.5 inch monitor from Acer which is 2K, what will be the display size when I use only 1920x1080 in the middle of the screen? Is there a formula that can get a rough calculation?
My rough estimate is that, moving from 2K to 1080p is moving from 100% to 75% on both height and width, so I'll get a size of 31 inch (75% of 38.5) on 1080p which is very good. Is this about right?

For example, I have this 38.5 inch 2k monitor in mind: Amazon.in

Is the above theory possible for regular use? I don't mind going into menus before I start gaming...

Thank you so much for the help bro.
Well, at 44k it seems like an awesome deal. And with all the right ports and specs, I suppose there's no visible negative, except for the 27 inch size. I hoped for something in the 32-40 inch realm, but I can manage this much I guess, specially on a desk...

Mostly, I play CS:GO competitve only. Cyberpunk with its bugs and errors, I guess no, can't purchase. Other games I might try sometime.

Before I finally decide, I have a query, suppose I choose a 2K monitor:-

1. Can I play in 1080p, with centralised display? I mean, the 1080p screen should appear in the middle, with black borders around it. Then it should be pretty sharp...

2. Suppose I get a 38.5 inch monitor from Acer which is 2K, what will be the display size when I use only 1920x1080 in the middle of the screen? Is there a formula that can get a rough calculation?
My rough estimate is that, moving from 2K to 1080p is moving from 100% to 75% on both height and width, so I'll get a size of 31 inch (75% of 38.5) on 1080p which is very good. Is this about right?

For example, I have this 38.5 inch 2k monitor in mind: Amazon.in

Is the above theory possible for regular use? I don't mind going into menus before I start gaming...
I have no idea about 1 & 2 modes & will never use it. My desktop is powerful enough for 1440p gaming but when it won't be, I will play at fullscreen at 1080p if needed instead of resorting to black borders & all as the loss in sharpness is not much observable.

I feel 27" is a comfortable size for a table, 32" is a bit big, but still usable. 38" would be too large for me. I will expect that VA panel to have very slow response times as generally VA has slower response times than IPS & TN, exception is Samsung G7 & G9 (old ones).

OP
Samarth 619

Samarth 619

Modrator @ Xbhp Biking
I have no idea about 1 & 2 modes & will never use it. My desktop is powerful enough for 1440p gaming but when it won't be, I will play at fullscreen at 1080p if needed instead of resorting to black borders & all as the loss in sharpness is not much observable.

I feel 27" is a comfortable size for a table, 32" is a bit big, but still usable. 38" would be too large for me. I will expect that VA panel to have very slow response times as generally VA has slower response times than IPS & TN, exception is Samsung G7 & G9 (old ones).
Ok. Thanks a lot for your inputs. I have all the answers I need. I'll think about it all and update you when I purchase.

Given the discussion I'm levitating towards the 27 inch 4K monitor, but will consider both carefully. Thanks again.

Top Bottom