Gaming Laptop 60-80k

shahu

Broken In
What is your budget? (INR or USD)
60k to 80k ₹

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
  • Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
Recent and next year's AAA titles with atleast 60fps+
Media consumption (screen contrast/brightness and color quality is very important)

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
i5 9th gen/ryzen 5-7 with 1660ti

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like:
b. Dislike: Hp

6) Anything else you would like to say?
  • Asus tuf starts from 56k for a 120hz screen with 1650 gpu.. legion y540 is around 10k more expensive for i5 with 1650 and 60hz display...I want to know that is the screen panel of legion noticeably better than Tuf coz i noticed that the sRgb % were quite higher in lenovo than asus (Jarrod's tech channel).
  • I know there's a 94k version of y540 with 1660ti with 144hz but that will be stretching my budget by 30k just for gpu considering that i can get asus tuf with 1650 much cheaper .I am aware that 1660ti is much better but i won't be spending 30k for gpu alone as long as the screen panels are much better on lenovo
  • Dell launched 2019 G3 yesterday in India but i am unable to find pricing for variants,if anyone is aware pls let me know
  • Finally it comes down to if the y540 60hz panel is much better than asus tuf in color reproduction and contrast(not considering the Hz) and if you guys are aware of some other config/manufacturer which I'm missing then please do inform me.
  • Do note that by screen quality i do not mean photo editing level accuracy.I mean the colors popping off vs dull ones (amoled vs lcd ) like difference

OP
S

shahu

Broken In
@SaiyanGoku @anupam_pb

Actually accurate colors are usually dull compared to popping off colors(aka IPS with lower black levels & contrast vs VA with much deeper black levels & contrast).

Yes, that is why i specified that i prefer the better 'looking' screen..since i am not able to judge that from color gamuts i came here

For reference i have a Dell S22h monitor which is 60hz 1080p with an ips panel? (Not sure about ips) and i am pretty happy with the colors and brightness and when my friend brings over a lenovo z50 1080p panel (ik pretty old) his looks like a disaster .I just don't want that to be the case with my purchase as i won't be able to see them irl till i order

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well this one is IPS: *www.amazon.in/Dell-S2216H-21-5-Inch-Full-Monitor/dp/B015SMT4BU
Usually IPS panels have much wider viewing angles & almost always have some amount of screen bleeding.

OP
S

shahu

Broken In
Well this one is IPS: *www.amazon.in/Dell-S2216H-21-5-Inch-Full-Monitor/dp/B015SMT4BU
Usually IPS panels have much wider viewing angles & almost always have some amount of screen bleeding.
Yes that's the one i have and would be more than happy if the laptop panels match that atleast (either lenovo legion or asus tuf)

I don't think Y540 has a 144Hz display in India. The 60Hz Y540 probably has the 250nit display which likely has colors similar to Asus FX505. Y540 is much better built than FX505, looks better IMO & performs about 10% better in games because of i5. Also with i5, you can undervolt it & optimize its thermals better as those stuff aren't supported in Ryzen CPUs for now.

You can't get 1660Ti for 80k usually although there was some flash sale in Lenovo's website where people grabbed Y7000 with i7 & RTX 2060 for approx 80k with some "vantage" code.

1660Ti is like 40% better than a 1650, so if you can afford it, its worth it. Look for deals during upcoming sales, look for Lenovo Y540 (i5), new Acer Helios 300 (i5) & MSI GL63 as potential 1660Ti options that might get priced under 90k. New Helios 300 is apparently has a 144Hz display, which is pretty good in color reproduction, 70% ARGB & 100% sRGB. MSI one is 60Hz but MSI usually has a good panel.

Not the most balanced, but still better than others at this price:
*www.amazon.in/FX505DV-Graphics-7-3...top&qid=1569453367&smid=A14CZOWI0VEHLG&sr=8-9

Last edited:
OP
S

shahu

Broken In
I don't think Y540 has a 144Hz display in India. The 60Hz Y540 probably has the 250nit display which likely has colors similar to Asus FX505. Y540 is much better built than FX505, looks better IMO & performs about 10% better in games because of i5. Also with i5, you can undervolt it & optimize its thermals better as those stuff aren't supported in Ryzen CPUs for now.

You can't get 1660Ti for 80k usually although there was some flash sale in Lenovo's website where people grabbed Y7000 with i7 & RTX 2060 for approx 80k with some "vantage" code.

1660Ti is like 40% better than a 1650, so if you can afford it, its worth it. Look for deals during upcoming sales, look for Lenovo Y540 (i5), new Acer Helios 300 (i5) & MSI GL63 as potential 1660Ti options that might get priced under 90k. New Helios 300 is apparently has a 144Hz display, which is pretty good in color reproduction, 70% ARGB & 100% sRGB. MSI one is 60Hz but MSI usually has a good panel.

Not the most balanced, but still better than others at this price:
*www.amazon.in/FX505DV-Graphics-7-3...top&qid=1569453367&smid=A14CZOWI0VEHLG&sr=8-9

Hey,thanks for the reply and yes I'll be waiting for the sales before i decide..also my gut told me to go for lenovo over asus and you approved it with the comment on build quality
ps: this is the y540 with i5 1660ti and 144hz
Lenovo Legion Y540 9th Gen Core Intel i5 15.6 inch FHD Gaming Laptop (8GB RAM/ 1TB HDD + 256 GB SSD / Windows 10 Home / 6GB NVIDIA GTX 1660 TI Graphics / Black / 2.3 Kg), 81SX0041IN *www.amazon.in/dp/B07V5HQN65/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_yFbJDbAQGG9DJ

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@anupam_pb msi has very poor after sales support currently in India(I don't know if you have seen/remember this Need help in building My first ever gaming PC ). /r/IndianGaming section has many poor MSI rma comments/threads in recent times(I remember a case of msi gaming laptop too).

@anupam_pb msi has very poor after sales support currently in India(I don't know if you have seen/remember this Need help in building My first ever gaming PC ). /r/IndianGaming section has many poor MSI rma comments/threads in recent times(I remember a case of msi gaming laptop too).
I know, but they have a decent laptop otherwise.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know, but they have a decent laptop otherwise.
I know but is it worth taking chance.e.g.I can take chance with msi tomahawk/carbon pro with ryzen 1xxx/2xxx(no 3xxx) as the difference between them & others in similar price range is just too much but I don't think any other msi product enjoy such great advantage.

I know but is it worth taking chance.e.g.I can take chance with msi tomahawk/carbon pro with ryzen 1xxx/2xxx(no 3xxx) as the difference between them & others in similar price range is just too much but I don't think any other msi product enjoy such great advantage.
I would just point out bad RMA next time, but considering limited options in India, its worth mentioning MSI laptops when they are priced right (usually they are expensive).

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would just point out bad RMA next time, but considering limited options in India, its worth mentioning MSI laptops when they are priced right (usually they are expensive).
Are MSI laptops build quality really that good compared to similarly priced asus,lenovo & acer laptops?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
You can customize and build and order your own laptop in lenovo website. Check this once:Lenovo Legion Y7000 (9th Gen) | Price, Features and Offers | Lenovo India

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Asus ROG Zephyrus G Ryzen 7 Quad Core - (16 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home/6 GB Graphics) GA502DU-AL025T Gaming Laptop Rs.116990 Price in India - Buy Asus ROG Zephyrus G Ryzen 7 Quad Core - (16 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home/6 GB Graphics) GA502DU-AL025T Gaming Laptop Black Online - Asus : Flipkart.com

You can customize and build and order your own laptop in lenovo website. Check this once:Lenovo Legion Y7000 (9th Gen) | Price, Features and Offers | Lenovo India
Asus ROG Zephyrus G Ryzen 7 Quad Core - (16 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home/6 GB Graphics) GA502DU-AL025T Gaming Laptop Rs.116990 Price in India - Buy Asus ROG Zephyrus G Ryzen 7 Quad Core - (16 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home/6 GB Graphics) GA502DU-AL025T Gaming Laptop Black Online - Asus : Flipkart.com
Pointless when new Helios 300 is on sale & OP bought that.
GA502 is good for those who really need the portability & battery life, but otherwise Helios 300 is just better. It's much better thermally & bit better performance-wise compared to my i7+2060 m15 as well, checked online gaming benchmarks. Like my m15 achieves 87fps on FC5 vs 91fps for Helios 300.

abirthedevil

In the zone
OP made a great call going for Helios 300, its revered all around as the best gaming laptop in its price segment right now.

Top Bottom