'Gaming Disorder' officially recognised as a disease

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
'Gaming Disorder' officially recognised as a disease by World Health Organisation

Gaming disorder, which essentially means addiction to video games, has been officially recognised by the UN's World Health Organisation a modern disease.

The organisation in June 2018 decided to add gaming disorder addiction under its section of potentially harmful technology-related behaviors, including too much use of "the internet, computers, smartphones" and more.

Source: 'Gaming Disorder' officially recognised as a disease by World Health Organisation- Technology News, Firstpost

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
About time I think, though I don't think this is different from any kind of addiction.

China has had de-addiction centres for compulsive online gamers for a while now.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Hopefully this will stop whales from spending on microtransactions and we will get better singleplayer games.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Oh well.

For this we need a ban or at least a heavy regulation on microtransactions.

This is about gaming addiction in general.

Those whales are certainly addicted though.

Lootbox regulation is also happening
US loot box legislation gains traction with bipartisan support

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, but no solid outcome yet because the ESA is lobbying against it. Belgium has already banned lootboxes, so that can become a precedent.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

I think this is more towards MMO gamers instead of offline SP gamers :)

PUBG, WoW, DOTA is one of them

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Had watched this documentary long time back. China has a major problem with gaming addiction.

Fortunately we don't have a huge problem with his now. But with the advent of PUBG mobile, knee jerk reactions are sure to happen.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

PUBG Mobile: A 16-year-old in Madhya Pradesh dies after playing for six hours- Technology News, Firstpost

He was a swimmer, his heart seemed to be healthy. "The excitement of the game might have caused a surge in adrenaline causing cardiac arrest. I appeal to children to stay away from such games as excitement could cause cardiac arrests,"

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^Wait for some credible source first,looks more like a sensational news headline.I am pretty sure many more youngsters feel similar if not more excitement just before/during/after their board exam days.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
^^Wait for some credible source first,looks more like a sensational news headline.I am pretty sure many more youngsters feel similar if not more excitement just before/during/after their board exam days.

19-year-old student in Secunderabad collapses during Class 12 exam, dies

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^I am guessing all these people have a weak heart/some underlying heart disease to begin with & it was only a matter of time before they got a heart attack due to some other reason.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

Wait, so there are two deaths reported one from Indore and one from Telangana.

The boy died of Cardiac arrest and not heart attack.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Gaming Disorder: PC Gamer's editors take a survey to see if they're at risk for the newly classified Gaming Disorder | PC Gamer

SurveyCoder

Skipped the extended survey. Got 8/20.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

Another one!!

PUBG addiction: 15-year-old stabs brother for repeatedly interrupting his game- Technology News, Firstpost

gameranand

Living to Play
And is there a disease name for Whatapp addiction or facebook addiction ? Why gaming has to be on radar only. :|

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^Gaming disorder is quite specific compared to whatsapp/fb addiction which merges itself with other areas.e.g.net addiction,social disorders,personality disorders etc.

Top Bottom