Gaming desktop upgrade suggestion

DestGod

Journeyman
Cpu cooler is mandatory for 12700? I thought it will come with stock cooler which can do job

And you are quoting price 29k from where
For gaming, it'll manage, with some throttling. However for productivity, it won't last long. (180w PL2)

The build suggested by omega is good. Wait before spending for the fan hub though. You should be able to daisy chain the fans.

DestGod

Journeyman
No, my point was if OP won't be overclocking, why not suggest a non-K series CPU instead?
Meh there's nearly a 7k price difference between the 12600k and the 12700. The only difference in the spec sheets are a couple of cores. For gaming, there'll be zero need for it, though it would help a little in productivity. Didn't think it was worth it.

Meh there's nearly a 7k price difference between the 12600k and the 12700. The only difference in the spec sheets are a couple of cores. For gaming, there'll be zero need for it, though it would help a little in productivity. Didn't think it was worth it.
So why not drop to i5 12400 instead?

OP did mention some video editing earlier, so better pay for that i7 & OP has the budget, also did mention about pairing with 3090:
CPU mid range (1).png

CPU mid range (3).png

OP
A

ashishstillthere

Journeyman
Dealer has given quote for Asrock b660pro rs 13600 as msi b660m and Rog strix b660f is not available. Is it good Mobo to go ahead with

Last edited:

DestGod

Journeyman
So why not drop to i5 12400 instead?

OP did mention some video editing earlier, so better pay for that i7
For gaming, sure, the 12400 is the maximum anyone should go with. But with productivity mentioned and the 1L budget, I suggested the 12600k.
Dealer has given quote for Asrock b660pro rs 13600 as msi b660m and Rog strix b660f is not available. Is it good Mobo to go ahead with
With Asrock's poor reputation in making motherboards lately, no, the Pro Rs isn't suggestible. The only decent boards from their lineup are the Steel Legend, Taichi and Extreme, all of which are ironically high end motherboards.
The MSI board is a much better option. You should be able to get it online.
*www.vedantcomputers.com/pc-components/motherboard/msi-pro-b660m-a-ddr4-motherboard?limit=100

mobo VRM B660 i7 12700.png

As you can see, Pro RS is literally one of the worst & I'm not sure why it is not throttling the CPU as VRM temps beyond 100C are dangerous in a way. Stick to the top mobos till TUF Plus as India has higher ambient temps.

OP
A

ashishstillthere

Journeyman
Really helpful

Final order going to be

Core i7 12700
Msi B660 tomhawk wifi
G.SKILL Trident Z Royal 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 1.35V Desktop Memory RAM - F4-3200C16D-32GTRG
UPS with surge protection

Ram has RGB hence gskill plus spec-01 k fans RGB mai change Kara leta hoon. Cpu cooler will see after observing the average temperature of cpu as per my use.

Any thing else I need to check or is it ok

DestGod

Journeyman
Really helpful

Final order going to be

Core i7 12700
Msi B660 tomhawk wifi
G.SKILL Trident Z Royal 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 1.35V Desktop Memory RAM - F4-3200C16D-32GTRG

Ram has RGB hence gskill plus spec-01 k fans RGB mai change Kara leta hoon. Cpu cooler will see after observing the average temperature of cpu as per my use.

Good parts selected. Yet there are some changes to be made.
Spec 1 does not have very good airflow. For a low TDP processor its fine, but for the 12700, its gonna reach T Junction (max temperature before throttling, usually around 95 deg C) immediately and throttle, especially when cooled with the stock cooler. Save yourself the trouble and invest in a new case and the Deepcool AK620. You'll have to do it later if not now.

For the memory, well it's a good looking one, but you could consider different memory sticks at cheaper prices, like this one- *www.theitdepot.com/details-Teamgro...y+-+Black+(TF3D416G3600HC18J01)_C6P34456.html

It offers similar levels of performance as the G Skill one. Take your call though.

Really helpful

Final order going to be

Core i7 12700
Msi B660 tomhawk wifi

For how much are you getting Tomahawk? I generally don't recommend it because entry-level Z690 mobos are priced similar, like MSI Z690 A Pro WiFi DDR4 will net you an extra M.2 slot as well, if you don't dive deep into advantages of Z690 vs B660.

Also price for Trident Z Royal? I saw 16GB XPG D60 3600MHz CL18 for 5.5k per stick. If aesthetics are the point for Trident, then understandable.

MSI Pro Z690-A Wifi DDR4 Motherboard
ADATA XPG Spectrix D60G 16GB (16GBx1) DDR4 3600MHz RGB Desktop Memory AX4U360016G18I-ST60

OP
A

ashishstillthere

Journeyman
Good parts selected. Yet there are some changes to be made.
Spec 1 does not have very good airflow. For a low TDP processor its fine, but for the 12700, its gonna reach T Junction (max temperature before throttling, usually around 95 deg C) immediately and throttle, especially when cooled with the stock cooler. Save yourself the trouble and invest in a new case and the Deepcool AK620. You'll have to do it later if not now.

For the memory, well it's a good looking one, but you could consider different memory sticks at cheaper prices, like this one- *www.theitdepot.com/details-Teamgro...y+-+Black+(TF3D416G3600HC18J01)_C6P34456.html

It offers similar levels of performance as the G Skill one. Take your call though.
My plan to change cabinet is on hold till i buy myself a new GPU 3080 or 40xx series.

Ak620 could be a problem in spec 01 as suggested above and also from dealer

Alternative dealer has suggested Deepcool gammaxxl240 a rgb on. Do you think it will be effective?

OP
A

ashishstillthere

Journeyman
For how much are you getting Tomahawk? I generally don't recommend it because entry-level Z690 mobos are priced similar, like MSI Z690 A Pro WiFi DDR4 will net you an extra M.2 slot as well, if you don't dive deep into advantages of Z690 vs B660.

Also price for Trident Z Royal? I saw 16GB XPG D60 3600MHz CL18 for 5.5k per stick. If aesthetics are the point for Trident, then understandable.

MSI Pro Z690-A Wifi DDR4 Motherboard
ADATA XPG Spectrix D60G 16GB (16GBx1) DDR4 3600MHz RGB Desktop Memory AX4U360016G18I-ST60
Tomhawk is 21k and spoken to dealer he told me that tomhawk has more points for cabinet RGB lights and ports so if for future as i have plans to upgrade my cabinet then tomhawk is more suitable.

Trident royal is for its look so it's preferred

Last edited:

DestGod

Journeyman
My plan to change cabinet is on hold till i buy myself a new GPU 3080 or 40xx series.

Alternative dealer has suggested Deepcool gammaxxl240 a rgb on. Do you think it will be effective?
L240 is one of the worst price to performance coolers I've ever seen. The AK620 is a much better option. When looking for an AIO, RGB is the last thing you'd want in it.

As suggested above, its not worth much waiting for next gen GPUs, with inflation and a weakening ₹ value.
Tomhawk is 21k and spoken to dealer he told me that tomhawk has more points for cabinet RGB lights and ports so if for future as i have plans to upgrade my cabinet then tomhawk is more suitable.

That's a load of bs. Any board with a 5v ARGB header will handle all sorts of RGB devices. The Tomahawk is a good board, but don't go with it for the reasons suggested by the dealer. There are cheaper alternatives as mentioned in this thread that are good enough for the 12700 and other necessities.

Both have just 2x 3 pin ARGB connectors & you can just get an ARGB hub for more ports.

Unless you are going for aesthetics again, no point of higher-end B660 mobos as a good entry-level Z690 is just the more practical choice. You can add more connectors like ARGB connectors, fan connectors, but can't easily add 4th M.2 slot to B660.

For AIO, just get Arctic Freezer II 240mm, great performer. Do not buy 120mm AIOs, they are almost useless.

OP
A

ashishstillthere

Journeyman
For AIO, just get Arctic Freezer II 240mm, great performer. Do not buy 120mm AIOs, they are almost useless.
Arctic freezers II look good and has RGB too so i think this can be a good choice as it will not have that height wala issue. Let me ask rate and availability tomorrow itself. Thanks for suggesting this.

OP
A

ashishstillthere

Journeyman
Both have just 2x 3 pin ARGB connectors & you can just get an ARGB hub for more ports.

Unless you are going for aesthetics again, no point of higher-end B660 mobos as a good entry-level Z690 is just the more practical choice. You can add more connectors like ARGB connectors, fan connectors, but can't easily add 4th M.2 slot to B660.
Dealer sent this and agreed on rgb hub part.

Now i am in fix between 660 n 690. As per this top model of 660 is better than basic of 690 although on specification side i know 690 will be much better in speed wise but i am too naive to understand that details. If for M2 port as of now i am happy with having 3 coz I have only one SSD and have 2 empty slot for future expansion.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220809-232755_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220809-232755_Chrome.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Screenshot_20220809-232736_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220809-232736_Chrome.jpg
    921.9 KB · Views: 101
Dealer sent this and agreed on rgb hub part.

Now i am in fix between 660 n 690. As per this top model of 660 is better than basic of 690 although on specification side i know 690 will be much better in speed wise but i am too naive to understand that details. If for M2 port as of now i am happy with having 3 coz I have only one SSD and have 2 empty slot for future expansion.
Almost all websites which do such direct comparisons are shit. Read the detailed specs for yourselves & check reviews. The common negative for top end B660 mobos has been high price, YT channels like Hardware Unboxed just recommend MSI B660M A Pro, else jump to Z690. Even for a normal user 1-2 extra M.2 slots over B660 mobos is a practical difference.

The Z690 A Pro sustains 75C on VRMs when running an i9, which draws almost 100W more power than an i7 12700. As I mentioned earlier, except aesthetics, I see 0 point in buying Tomahawk B660. Ideally B660M A Pro should suffice, unless you need more M.2 slots(4 vs 2).

Mobo VRM budget Z690.png

mobo VRM B660 i7 12700.png

Top Bottom