Gaming and Virtualization on i5 giving choppy exp

Thor

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi Guys,
Posting after some time - hope this post finds you all healthy and happy!

Last year I had built a gaming rig :
Intel Core i5-7600K LGA 1151 Desktop Processors (BX80677I57600K)
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD Graphics Cards
ASRock Motherboard Z270 Gaming ITX/ac
Corsair LPX 32GB DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit for DDR4 Systems

Games run fine - happy with it ... but recently I have started running VMWare workstation on this pc and I am not having the smoothest experience.
I tried running two guest systems ( 8 gb ram each, allocated 2 core to each ) and ran some script automating a game. Its getting stuck and giving choppy experience...

I would like to run 3 virtual machines, and still would like juice left for the host os.

I have been doing some google research and when it comes to virtualization, people seem to think an intel i7 with more core is the answer or some even saying when it comes to more thread and more core + cost effectiveness, AMZ Ryzen is a better candidate
I also realized latest coffee lake i5-i7s wont run on my motherboard z270 series - so I may need to get a new mobo as well as a processor...

What is your guys take on it? Or do you need more info?

I would prefer not to spend more than 500-600 usd on this upgrade if at all.

OP
Thor

Thor

Ambassador of Buzz
You won't like the suggestion but you need to get at least a 6C/12T proccy. 4C/8T would be a bottleneck for your usage.
I figured as much. Should I go the AMD Ryzen way or Intel coffeelake ? I am looking at AMD Ryzen 2700x and it feels within budget.

Hrishi

You won't like the suggestion but you need to get at least a 6C/12T proccy. 4C/8T would be a bottleneck for your usage.
This is not correct.
Virtualization is not CPU Centric, unless you are running tons of stuff on all your VMs in parallel.
It's mostly Memory where the choking happens.

If you're facing stuttering inside your VMs, do a stats plotting of system resources , particularly CPU in HWmonitor64.
If your CPU cores are doing 100x4 at the time of stuttering then it's obviously CPU.

Tyoically an i5 will be easily able to host 3-4 VMs given that those aren't Sims machine and you have plenty of RAM.

My advice, if those are windows machines install VMware Windows drivers in them. Tweak your VMware settings.

If nothing works out, run it on a barebone hypervisor ...I.e. ESXi,etc.

Minion

Conversation Architect
@OP why are you allocating 8GB RAM and 2 Cores but what are you running as guest OS ?

Top Bottom