• Warhammer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wannagamedeveloper

Right off the assembly line
Hello guys.........
I want to know about any institutes in India that offer M.Tech in Game Programming........I have searched several places but couldn't find a satisfying answer to what if I want my career to shape up in game programming field............

prasath_digit

prasath->loves(APPLE);
I also want to have a career in the game programming field right from my high school days from what i have searched here is the info:-

Your Game Demo is more important than your qualifications for your employer first choose your specialization in the field, based on that do your research, even if an institute comes up an offers an M.Tech or some other course in game dev its only a complete overview of the game dev process/techniques etc. Although an overview is important, what will really get u into the field and give u an edge is specilization.

From what i know the 'Basic-Specializations' are:-

1.AI Programmer.
2.Graphics Programmer.
3.Physics Programmer.
3.Network/Multiplayer Programmer.
4.Gameplay Programmer.
5.Audio Programmer.
6.Tools Programmer.

from these positions one may move on to higher positions like:- (through performance and skills)

1.Lead Programmer
2.Technical Director
3.Game Engine Architect

There are many more sub-specializtions like

1.Engine/Tools programmer.
2.Graphics/Specialeffects programmer.
3.Playstation 3 Graphics Programmer.
4.Technical Art Director.
5.Technology Programmer.

Institutes in India offering Game Dev/Programming courses:-

1.S.A.G.E info labs in New Delhi

2.Image College of Arts and Technology in Chennai

Remember for Game Programming Maths & Physics are very important.

My suggestion would be study Maths & C++ strongly for any role in game development.

Hope this helps you brother. Thanks :smile:

Last edited:
OP
W

wannagamedeveloper

thanks prasath_digit for such a useful info........
what are you doing to enter Gaming field?

one more query...about the language to excel in..(JAVA OR C++ OR any other)...as i have got the info from net, most games (Cool 3D Games) are programmed in C++....JAVA is not used in console game programming as it is slow, but some websites posts that soon JAVA too wil be used in Game Programing(Console) as now-a-dys on speed basis JAVA is very close to C++....the tragedie is that I have learned JAVA and litle C++ and moreover i am working in a sftwr dvplmnt comp in JAVA field....so i m not able to decide that should i excel in JAVA or should i turn my path to C++.........

prasath_digit

prasath->loves(APPLE);
Choose C++

what are you doing to enter Gaming field?

I realized very early on that here in India only a handful of institutes offer courses in game programming so i started learning things myself I studied both C & C++ myself upto the point that I could read & write some intermediate programs myself then I did some research and realized that you have to excel in atleast one major graphics API either OpenGL or Direct3D and do a demo with it. I'm into game maths right now, then I hope to start doing some demos using OpenGL.

I strongly recommed this book for you:-

Mathematics for 3D Game Programming and Computer Graphics

- Eric Lengyel, Charles River Media Publications

one more query...about the language to excel in..(JAVA OR C++ OR any other)...as i have got the info from net, most games (Cool 3D Games) are programmed in C++....JAVA is not used in console game programming as it is slow, but some websites posts that soon JAVA too wil be used in Game Programing(Console) as now-a-dys on speed basis JAVA is very close to C++....the tragedie is that I have learned JAVA and litle C++ and moreover i am working in a sftwr dvplmnt comp in JAVA field....so i m not able to decide that should i excel in JAVA or should i turn my path to C++.........

Ok lets get this clear, choice of language is a purely a technical issue, C++ is compiled while Java is interpreted. C++ is used in PC & Console Games to get the max performance from the hardware. Java ME is used in mobile games while some mobile platforms like Symbian allow us to write games in C++, Java ME is the choice for mobile games. So the language you want to learn depends on what you want to do and where. If you want to do something on the PC C++ wins hands down. If you wanna get into mobile arena Java ME is the choice.

while its true that Java is getting faster, I don think it can match C++ in performance atleast in the near future. Another thing about these choice of managed languages( Java, .NET ) for game programming is that, currently majority of the graphics processing is done in the GPU not in CPU. So it may be possible that in the future we can write a game like Crysis 2 using Java but to look into these technical crystalballs one needs a lot of knowledge and experience. Now Intel is going release a graphics processor, and NVIDIA has some inroads into the traditional CPU market, i think only pros and industry watchers can have a valid opinion on this one.

If you are still confused about ur choice of language, CHOOSE C++ :cool:

Thanks Brother :smile:

OP
W

wannagamedeveloper

I m really stuck........
professionaly i m working in java technology.....but once i choose to learn C++..that would be like riding on two boats........plzz help.......

prasath_digit

prasath->loves(APPLE);
Thanks bro.....
Can u suggest a good book for C++ particularly aiming at the required point......

C++ How to Program

- Paul J.Deitel

It is one of the biggest books on C++ which covers pretty much everything. I believe this one book should be more than enough for u at this point.

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

I m really stuck........
professionaly i m working in java technology.....but once i choose to learn C++..that would be like riding on two boats........plzz help.......

Then try:-

Killer Game Programming in Java

- Andrew Davison, O'Reilly Publications

It contains 32 chapters on Game Programming using Java SE, including 2D, 3D, Audio, Texture Creation, Model importing, Network ( Multiplayer ) programming. The book concludes with developing a very simple multiplayer 3D First-Person-Shooter game using Java SE. Here 2D & 3D Graphics are done using the Java 2D & Java 3D APIs.

himanshu_game

Creating New Worlds
read C++ for game Programmers,3d math primer for graphics and game development ,PRogramming GAme AI by Example,....
excellent books if u know basic C++...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom