Game of the Year 2016

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
I'm one of the very few people who liked MGSV over Witcher 3. And they probably put Witcher 3 on top of 100 games due to public pressure.

Its not just public pressure, its actually a great game.
When the magazine team decides game of the year if 6/10 agree on witcher 3, that wins it. 4 might vote msgv.

OP
chimera201

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Its not just public pressure, its actually a great game.
When the magazine team decides game of the year if 6/10 agree on witcher 3, that wins it. 4 might vote msgv.

If you have been following the top 100 games by PC Gamer then you would know that it was public pressure that made them put Witcher 3 on top and they re-titled the article as "The best PC games you can play today." Previously Witcher 3 was #41 for them. Witcher 3 has a lot of flaws but no one actually criticized it properly. It just had a mass appeal factor and gathered a mass following.
The best PC games: Page 10 | PC Game

Even Eurogamer put Rocket League before Witcher 3 in 2015.
Eurogamer's top 50 games of 2015 • Eurogamer.net

gameranand

Living to Play
Aye I agree. Witcher 3 simply created so much hype. Not the fault of Devs mind you. It was created by the fans themselves that anyone who criticized it anywhere became EVIL for gaming community. Its one of the best games for sure but it does have its flaws like every game but no one dared to talk about it. Post anything against this game and you get -100 karma on Reddit. Post anything bad on Steam and a group of vigilantes will throw you under the rug. The hype was also because of the awesome attitude of CDPR, the free DLCs added that and the amount of content in the paid DLC was more than enough to trigger entire industry. :D

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Witcher 3 also won the award at Game developers conference. I go to GDC in San Francisco, from what I have seen game developers are an extremely passionate set of engineers, and they voted for witcher3. Its being peer reviewed as being the best. Its well deserved. I didn't get to vote, coz am not exactly a game dev.

Its only then I put together a new high end pc just to play this game, it was great. I haven't had time to enjoy the other titles yet, will review MSG later.

And also RPGs are usually favored to win more awards because older people that control the media tend to like those more.

gameranand

Living to Play
I never said that W3 didn't deserved that award. I for one will vote for it over MGS every time. I am merely saying that it does have it flaws which were never discussed. Somewhere in the hype and all positive aspects, the negatives got hidden. And its really a feat to achieve for a game to hide their flaws completely, not from Devs but from the acceptance from the fans.

OP
chimera201

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
The majority of awards did go to Witcher 3. MGSV also had its flaws like a missing Chapter 3 and lack of boss fights. This is a nice GOTY aggregator:
GAME OF THE YEAR PICKS BLOG: 2015 GAME OF THE YEA

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - 257
The Critics' Picks - 169
The Readers' Picks - 88

Fallout 4 - 58
The Critics' Picks - 40
The Readers' Picks - 18

Bloodborne - 31
The Critics' Picks - 23
The Readers' Picks - 8

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - 29
The Critics' Picks - 28
The Readers' Picks - 1

Life Is Strange - 12
The Critics' Picks - 10
The Readers' Picks - 2

I assume PC Gamer gave MGSV GOTY since it felt more of a PC game due to its sandbox style open environment, less cutscenes and responsive controls. Whereas Witcher 3 was more of a console game with unresponsive controls and hand-holding. There was also an article for it.
Why Metal Gear Solid 5 belongs on PC | PC Game

gameranand

Living to Play
Its not about hand holding or being specific platform centered. Simple fact is that people liked W3 much more than MGS. People who like MGS are in minority, Majority wins and so W3 won GOTY. In all honesty Witcher 3 was quite optimized on PC as well, and they fixed problems in subsequent patches so I have no qualms for PC side. They handed it like a pro.

OP
chimera201

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
PCGamer GOTY full list:

Game of the Year 2016: Dishonored 2
Best Strategy Game: XCOM 2
Best Puzzle Game: The Witness
Best Shortform Game: Inside
Best Racing Game: Forza Horizon 3
Best Writing: Firewatch
Best Expansion: The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine
Best Comeback: Doom
Best RPG: Darkest Dungeon
Best Setting: Dark Souls 3
Best Shooter: Titanfall 2
Spirit of the PC: Stardew Valley
Best Multiplayer: Overwatch

OP
chimera201

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Game Developers Choice Awards Nominees 2016

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (Naughty Dog / Sony Interactive Entertainment)
Overwatch (Blizzard Entertainment)
Inside(Playdead)
Dishonored 2 (Arkane Studios / Bethesda Softworks)
Firewatch(Campo Santo / Panic)

OP
chimera201

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
GDC 2017 GOTY winners announced

Best Audio Inside (Playdead)
Best Debut Campo Santo (Firewatch)
Best Design Overwatch (Blizzard Entertainment)
Best Mobile/Handheld Game Pokemon Go (Niantic)
Innovation Award No Man’s Sky (Hello Games)
Best Narrative Firewatch (Campo Santo)
Best Technology Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (Naughty Dog)
Best Visual Art Inside (Playdead)
Best VR/AR Game Job Simulator: The 2050 Archives (Owlchemy Labs)
Audience Award Battlefield 1 (EA DICE)
Game of the Year Overwatch (Blizzard Entertainment)

[FONT=&amp]
¯\_(ツ)_/¯[/FONT]

Top Bottom